Screwed Myself By Job Hopping

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by doubleA96, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have spoken to many HR types about hiring decisions. One of the primary reasons it takes so long at some carriers is no one person has the authority to hire. It's a process. In most large carriers' cases, it's HR that gets the application from the recruiting dept. Most of the time the simple stuff has been vetted by that time. Then if all is well safety or a safety type in HR will start getting the DAC/etc and start on the stuff MANDATED by part 391. Since most large carriers self underwrites insurance this is also part of the safety vetting.

When a carrier gets a history most times it is just a header.
    1. Dates worked
    2. Reason for leaving
    3. Rehire status

Then they dig deeper if they see an issue. Job hopping is part of the process. Carriers are getting so desperate for drivers they have lowered their standards so much that even drivers with abandonments are getting hired. This used to be a serious NO NO with a carrier. It still is with some better carriers.

@bryan21384 drivers job hop mostly because they are lied to by other company drivers. This is something I am constantly being asked about. A driver has been out for weeks. Might be homesick and tired. Their carrier has lied to them about this and that and they feel like they are all alone. Then they go sit at some truck stop lunch counter and hear some driver mouthing off about how good they have it. OR said driver is broke down losing money and being around other drivers that have nothing but bad things to say constantly bad-mouthing the carrier. Either way, this driver is fodder for all the hyperbole they hear later. Then they get enough and job hop. Then, later on, see the job is the same. This process then repeats itself.

Bret1984, Texas_hwy_287 and bryan21384 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I don't know guys...I think there is something more to the OP's story.

The reason I say this is because I have been trucking on and off since only 2016. During that time I have had 6 jobs (7 if you count a gig that I did via Blue Bloodhound). So basically, 7 companies in 4 years. The longest time I spent with a company was 10 months with Stevens Transport (my first job), the shortest was 10 days with Circle H (via Blue Bloodhound). I was downright fired by only one company, Melton Truck Lines, who I was with for only 3 months. But in my defense I made the "Top 100 Drivers of the Month" list the second month I was there (I was ranked #87 out of 1378 company drivers). I have posted that story elsewhere on these forums so I won't get into it here. But it's a good story and it will make your blood boil when you read it.

So, 7 jobs in 4 years...and I have companies blowing up my phone and email every week offering me jobs. I get calls from recruiters here on Trucker's Report every week offering me great gigs. Stevens sends me emails and texts at least twice a week. And the reason I've job-hopped? BECAUSE I DON'T SUFFER FOOLS. I DON'T TAKE BS. I am a very patient man and always put myself in the other's spot. I understand that sometimes one has to sacrifice for the good of the company. But I have a mental line drawn in the sand, and when the scale starts to balance towards that line, the clock starts to tick. Then I'm gone like the wind. I have so many stories in such a short time trucking (as I'm sure most of you do) that I should start a new thread here and call it "Events That Will Drive You To Quit".

So why are companies constantly calling me? Maybe because I have a clean MVR, no points. I have never failed an inspection. I run hard, but I run smart. I don't mind sitting for a couple of days if I have to (as a matter of fact I sometimes welcome it because sometimes I'm just worn out). My paperwork is anally impeccable. I am very low-maintenance and proactive. Before I completed a load I would call the planners themselves advising them that I would be free-and-clear in their specific territory. My DMs loved this because it alleviated some of their burden (some of these idiots managed 30 drivers!). I scheduled my own resets and maintenance, I didn't violate HOS and knew how to manipulate exceptions to my benefit (split-sleeper, PC). So basically I made myself a desirable driver through my work ethic and my smarts. But the problem is that I EXPECT the same in return. At the very least I expect a CORRECT ADDRESS on my load plan, or the CORRECT APPOINTMENT TIME. Or the CORRECT PAY. I can go on and on about things but this post is getting long-winded. But God I would love to share some stories!

My final take? I think that the old notion that it is bad to job-hop is outdated and doesn't really hold true anymore. So unless there is something detrimental on your record, or you have a known bad reputation, I think the jobs are there to be had.

OP? What say you?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    Reason for edit: clarification
  4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Thank you. Yes, standard online application is all trucking companies want.

nadiyah2000 Thanks this.
  5. Chr1s

Chr1s Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2021
    I wouldn't hire a job hopper myself either. You have to suck it up and buy into whatever corporate ######## a company pushes if you want to be successful in this industry. Or just buy your own truck. There's generally three important things when it comes to trucking. Money, home time, and quality of company politics. At some point before having six jobs in two years, you should have realized that you're going to have to pick two and compromise on the third.

gekko1323 Thanks this.
  6. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    You are WRONG! I just proved that. If you are a loser or a screw-up, then maybe what you say holds true. But if you are a person of good character and work ethic, you don't have to take s-h-i-t! From ANYONE. And remember, not everyone has the same motivations on why they got into trucking.

7. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    There is always an exception to every rule. In the grand scheme of things, job hoppers are normally frowned upon in MOST industries. Probably more tolerated in Trucking than others. GENERALLY indicates inability to play well with others, unrealistic expectations, hot headed, know it all, etc. USUALLY a combination of all of the above.

8. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    DEFINITELY tolerated in trucking. That's what my post is about. I don't think it holds true for most other vocations.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    If I had only one job and had two candidates for said job, one was a job hopper and the other was not! Everything else was equal I would not hire the job hopper! The reality of this situation is today both are going to have some form of a hopping history!

There is a difference between tolerated and being forced to accept. I will NOT hijack this thread and start a flame war by saying what the other profession is. However, there are two professions that are "catch" basins for people. Think of a job of last resort! Both are a mess and national issues show it! One is trucking!

In general, there are no black and white answers or reasons for this job-hopping issue, further, it's a mistake to try to make one!

10. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Joe Biden's Press Secretary??

11. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    According to the American Trucking Association, in 2020 medium to large sized trucking companies had a 92% turnover rate, and smaller carriers had a 74% turnover rate.

Truckload Turnover Rises in Third Quarter | American Trucking Associations

The industry with the next highest turnover rate is technology at 13%.

So do any of you honestly believe that trucking companies care at all how many jobs you had in trucking prior to applying with them? With carriers losing 74 to 92% of their workforce each year, employers would be hard pressed to find new drivers that didn't job hop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.