SE Kansas to Seattle Washington...need mountain pass conditions

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Lorilou64, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Lorilou64

Lorilou64 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Hello everyone...needing to leave tomorrow 12/8/22 from SE Kansas to get to Seattle Washington. Does anyone have routes we need to avoid or can u suggest the best way to go this time of year.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Where in kansas ? I-29 to i-90 is probably the safest route.. But bring ur chains... I would stay away from the dip ####s that run i80 and i84

Concorde, Oxbow and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  4. Lorilou64

Lorilou64 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Leaving from Wichita

Oxbow and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Ok from Wichita you can pickup i135N take that to - us81N - take us81N to i80W
    Take -i80 w out to North Platte NE and pickup us83 N - you can follow this until you run into i90 W in South Dakota.

OR you can take us83 from North Platte and follow that to SD and then jump on SD 44 W to SD 73 N. And get up to i90 that way. It will save a couple miles... then you just follow i90 all the way to Seattle...

The other route to go is get out to i70 w and take that to Denver then pickup i25N in Denver and take that up to us287 - follow that to I 80 - pickup i84 in wyoming/Utah - follow that until u get to Portland and then pickup i5 N there... me personally I would not take this route because there is to much b.s involved running i80 and 84 this time of year... they are about the same mileage - give or take 50 miles or so... i90 will be easy going until western Montana there is a couple mountains between there and Seattle where you will need to chain up if it's snowing.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    81 up to York, I-80 to Grand Island, then take 2 to Thedford to catch 83 north to I-90. That saves about 45 miles versus taking 80 to 83 at North Platte.

Make sure you have chains, Washington is mandatory carry.

Flat Earth Trucker and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    @Long FLD and @D.Tibbitt are spot on for choosing I-90. This interstate is traveled by fewer jackanapes than I-80 is for sure AND it is closed less often for weather and crashes than I-80.

What I-90 lacks in amenities, it makes up for in ease of travel.

The only parts of traveling I-90 west I dislike are the winding bends in western Montana and the passes in Idaho when chains are required. One year, I was chaining up like a good boy, when a super trucker blew by me going at least 50mph. Never did see any trucks in the ditch so road conditions were not that bad.

Beyond the passes and you are home free. In Ritzville, Washington near the Lovey Dovey's, there is a good Mexican restaurant there that used to be The Ritz which served American fare.

It's on the other side from Love's near Zip's and the motel. Truck parking is available.

drvrtech77, D.Tibbitt and Long FLD Thank this.
  8. Lorilou64

Lorilou64 Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2022
    Thank you all so much for your help...we are on I-90 almost to Rapid City...you guys are the best.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.