Seams in the Road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DeGuzzie, Sep 20, 2015.

1. DeGuzzie

DeGuzzie Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Benson, Vermont
    I was faced with a rather frieghtening situation about a week ago.

I'm headed north on a highway I don't remember (I put down 2400 miles at least in a given week and am still learning the off beat highways) and I just entered into a construction zone that has the left lane shut down. The suggested speed limit is 55 mph. The road has been freshly paved but still needs some work where the crown of the driving surface meets the shoulder.

Now where the driving surface meets the shoulder there is a seam that seperates the two surfaces and maybe a 1/4 of an inch difference in elevation between the two. It could be less, but it was hard to tell from in the truck. Regardless it really didn't seem like much.

Anyways, the cones to my left are hardly lined in a straight line and there isn't much room to spare especially when I come up to a cone that forces me to verge more to the right. Right over this seam.

I have the truck in 9th rpms maxed out by the governor and travelling at 55mph. As soon as my right steer tire rolls over the seam the truck reacts as if it were a motorcycle. The seam, which isn't straight, begins to track my truck and I did not expect this. So I compensated in little increments to keep the truck straight and to make way back to smooth road.

Well, that little compensation had a much more dramatic force on the truck and trailer than I had expected and I started pulling to the left really hard. So, I tried to just keep the wheels straight. That's it, but the effect caused my truck now to verge right again.

This is all happening really fast. Ultimately it felt like I was driving on wet glass for a moment. I eased on the breaks and slowed down to 45 mph but still felt the sensation of driving on wet glass while the passenger side tires were on that seam. So to try and be more safe I decided to straddle the seam and avoid driving on it all together.

Before I was down to my safe speed after hitting that seam I thought I was losing control. It definitely felt like I was going to end up in the ditch. And in just a matter of seconds.

Has anyone else had this experience with road seems or lines in the road?

I find it amazing that they have such influence on a big truck.

I should add that the load I was hauling was lite.

I thought it would be good to share this experience in hopes to for warn anyone who isn't aware of road seams on semis.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    What do you mean maxed out by the governor in 9th at 55? If it's a paved shoulder, run your right side tires on it and avoid the seam.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My old topkick 5500 was bad for that. It would catch a rut and you may as well just let it follow it because it did the same thing you described. Even at slow speeds it was difficult to correct it smoothly.

truckon, bottomdumpin and DeGuzzie Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Ain't no 1/4 inch difference if you are tracking the seam.

max'ed out the engine?

Seriously learn how to upshift.

6. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    First of all I know you were trying to blame speed on this. 55 was the limit or maximum speed allowed by law. It does not account for dangerous conditions be it weather, bad roads, heavy traffic. You are the captain of the ship.

Second, why are you running at so high RPM? Do you know how to drive

Last, if you really have no traction, hitting the breaks isn't going to help

G.Anthony, stevez57305 and Sneakerfix Thank this.
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I got a Prostar and it hates seams too,

And most companies limit the rpms in 9th gear so that drivers can't run 55 in 9th gear.
    It's harder to run 55 in 10th as they have to downshift more often,
    And it ain't like he's running 3,000 rpms running 55 in 9th.

DeGuzzie Thanks this.
  8. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    That 1/4" gap is because they haven't put the surface layer on yet. You're probably riding on the binder layer.
    Watch it in these works zones, and slow the #### down if that's what you need to do. If you're having problems like this at 55, clearly you're not as in control of that vehicle as you think you are. Having been one of those people on the other side of those cones for quite a few years, don't expect coddling from me on this one.

9. DeGuzzie

DeGuzzie Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Benson, Vermont
    Let me address the rpm issue.

I run a company truck that has many restrictions on it. In 9th gear when I am not climbing a hill the engine rpm is governed to go no higher than than 1500 rpms. At times this is a hassle and other times it is convienent. When the speed limit is 55 mph I throw the truck into 9th gear. If I am 10th gear going 55 mph and I have a decent load on the truck it is just going to lug and wear on the motor more than it needs to. So it is merely a habit of mine based on how my truck acts to leave it in 9th and ride 55 mph. It is not out of incompentence.

Okay. Now I didn't blame anything on anything in this situation. Yes it was a desolate construction zone and I initially felt safe to go the speed limit that was posted for this section of road. Until I hit that seam, which was an entirely new experience for me as a semi driver. Forgive me for learning from my experience and sharing what I learned so that others may possibly learn from it as to not be surprised like I was.

I didn't get out to measure the seam so the number I threw out there is fairly arbitrary. But I will tell you that there was no noticeable thump of any kind indicating a huge drop.

As stated in the original post, I did straddle the seam and let my right tires ride the shoulder.

The time it takes to read the post is not how slow things happened. Keep in mind I'm taking 5 to 10 seconds of detail and stretching out to give an idea of what it felt like.

Thank you to everyone else who read my post without the inclusion of ADD and understood what I was saying and shared your experience. That is really helpful to me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Lepton1 and tucker Thank this.
  10. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    It is common to have that sort of reaction on irregular road surfaces. Watch for it and be ready.

11. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    One more thing to add.....Those road cones are put out by the kids in school that couldn't color inside the lines, so....yeah. They are a lot less expensive to replace then a new tractor, or even right side rubber. I've killed my fair share of them stupid cones in my day. As long as there's nobody working close by them, and the choice is hitting them or hitting the ditch, it's the cones every time.

Lepton1, HorseShoe and cnsper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.