Seasonal traffic questions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Canadianhauler21, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    So I've been solo driving all summer and there has been a crap ton of traffic everywhere, even in the middle of nowhere you can say. Driving through Michigan at 3AM and I can see atleast 10 cars behind me in my mirror. I've only ever driven summer in the past as well.

Is there less traffic in the fall/winter/spring time?

Will this traffic slowly disapate the colder the weather gets?

I'm talking mostly out of city on the interstates. I know traffic is expected passing through bigger cities.
    These RV and pickup trucks pulling trailers get annoying over time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Yes. The snowbirds in the RVs will migrate south. Bad thing is, at the very first snow, every Darwin winner will flock to the roads in because their natural instinct is to die a stupid death.

This was caused by the ban on lead based paint. Do not pity them...it protects the herd.

austinmike, RSB34, BB203 and 16 others Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    The leaves will be turning soon so there will be many out viewing them, then it gets to hunting season, that gets a bit crazy, next winter sport season, them worse than crazy. Traffic is only going to get worse so be prepared for major delays.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yes. I prefer running winters because less construction and generally less traffic [outside of busy holiday traffic days and when/where fall colors are near peak]

Canadianhauler21, tinytim and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Inner cities will have more traffic in the upcoming months, especially September. This is when school starts. 6:30-9am, 3:30-5pm

SteveScott and SingingWolf Thank this.
  7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Brother, traffic is getting to be a nightmare out here, it is the great economy that is doing it. I highly doubt it will let up any time soon. And I have asked my buddies the same, we are all complaining about the sudden increase in traffic, both trucks and cars. Get used to it, it is a sign of good things are happening, even though it makes our days and nights that much more difficult.

Canadianhauler21 and SingingWolf Thank this.
  8. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    You know that population explosion they been saying might happen? We are right in the midst of it and it will only get worse, dang religions told us to be fruitful and multiply and then we did so.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We also threw open the front and back doors about 20 years ago and allowed in any/all strays that wanted to come in and never leave.

AModelCat and Justrucking2 Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Have you run out west? Pretty much anything east of the Mississippi will have lots of traffic. Out west I often will be all by my lonesome, not another vehicle in site.

I ran US-50 in Nevada once, at night. That's "The Loneliest Road in America". Dead straight for miles crossing a broad valley with a full moon. When I say a broad valley I mean it takes the better part of an hour to cross it. Never saw another set of headlights in the rear view or the windshield.

11. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just about any urban area in the US large enough to have a "loop" around it has traffic. They are all surrounded by "bedroom" communities. The traffic in the morning and afternoon between those communities and the anchor area can be staggering, worse yet if the DOT planners failed to fix it. As a trucker you CAN not avoid these area's totally. All you can do is minimize your exposure. However sometime that is not possible because of pickup and delivery appointments. There is no correct answer here. Just do the best you can do to stay professional and NEVER be part of the problem. As far as the roads in general take a good look at this population density map.

[​IMG]

This map is about 8 years old. However take a good look. Once about 100 or so miles away from colorized areas the traffic is not as bad. I saw someone say the Mississippi river. I have to respectfully disagree. It is from East Texas through most of Oklahoma then starts to merge with the Mississippi around St Louis.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.