Seat belt and shoulder belt...?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by REO6205, Jun 14, 2019.

Seatbelts?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2020.
  1. All the time

83.8%
  2. Whenever I think about it

1.9%
  3. In bad weather

1.9%
  4. Only when crossing a scale

10.5%
  5. Never.

2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

You see, you not wearing a seatbelt affects other people. If it was only you, then who cares. Stop being so selfish. Nobody loves to be taking care of people with disabilities, especially those who had a clear and simple choice to prevent it. It’s so unfair how people like you are putting all the nation through this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    I’ve seen what happens when you’re in an accident with no seatbelts. It never ends pretty especially roll overs have a chance at decapitation and dismemberment. I got nothing to prove so I’m buckling every time the vehicle goes past 10mph.

not4hire and PE_T Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

As I’ve mentioned before, sure, there are cases where a seatbelt could kill you like if you drive into a river or lake. Those who are so worried about this should just buy a keychain with a blade and car window breaker. They do sell these things.

I haven’t looked into stats of how many people die due to seatbelts, but I’d say it’s very small compared to the thousands of people who die every year due to no seatbelt use. The people at the government would have to be evil to continue forcing people to use seatbelts if in fact seatbelts are about as effective as not wearing one.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I've been waiting for this one, you ever been 17 years old and stuck in a wheelchair for a month and then using for the next three? Ever been 20 and have a knee that likes to try to drop you on the floor and elbow that doesn't work properly? #### right quit being selfish, I get hit by a truck again i dont want to live through it.

PE_T and adayrider Thank this.
  6. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    That’s why you carry an emergency knife that comes with a seat belt cutter and glass breaker. And always have it somewhere it’s accessible no matter what position the vehicle is at. Me it’s always clipped to the belt of my pants little bit past the pocket position but not completely at my side of hip. Blade itself isn’t pretty or tactical looking to discourage a cop picking on me for it. And never call it a self defense weapon always a “tool knife”.

PE_T Thanks this.
  7. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You’re like a modern day George Washington.
    You drape the seatbelt across you but don’t click it.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    When you have driven as long as I have I might listen to your opinion, except I will be long dead by then anyway.
    Going by your thinking, the human race would have been long extinct before you were ever born. period.

Rideandrepair, PE_T and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Upon some self-reflection, I guess I’ve been a bit too harsh (lately). Despite all this disagreement, what most of us just want is for everyone to be safe and sound and get to live another day with their loved ones.

10. ttnae

ttnae Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Rear facing cameras? They can see if you are actually wearing it. The truck data tracks the seat belt being latch but that doesn't mean word. The truth is that seat belts are a good idea and here's why. If you are in an accident with no seat belt and you are knocked out of the drivers seat, the truck will continue on whatever path momentum has for her. If you are belted in and you take a hard hit, your arms and legs will flail but you can actually regain some control of the unit and maybe steer away from a person, a cliff or just hit the brakes and bring it to a stop. THIS is the reason that seat belts are required. It makes good sense.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.