Seat belt and shoulder belt...?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by REO6205, Jun 14, 2019.

Seatbelts?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2020.
  1. All the time

83.8%
  2. Whenever I think about it

1.9%
  3. In bad weather

1.9%
  4. Only when crossing a scale

10.5%
  5. Never.

2.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I wear one when I am around town, to keep from getting a ticket, unless I forget too.
    You don't think I am rational for not wearing one.
    I could just as easy say, I don't see how you are rational for worrying about if I am wearing a seat belt. to each his own.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Right there it is folks. lol I reckon thatis all the reason I need. lol
    I always thought it funny, I have ridden bikes all my life, in the states I have lived in I did not have to wear a helmet, and usually only did in cool weather.
    I grew up riding in the back of pickups, and legally still can.
    Buses can haul anyone without a seat belt,
    When they first made it illegal in 4 wheelers, texas was exempt if you drove a 1 ton, New Mexico was exempt if driving an suv or 3/4 ton and up. But that had to change a few years later, because they weren't in everybodys business.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    of course for many years now, there have been seatbelt laws across this country.

in my youth, i never used one.

but back in 1980, i had bought (then) a brand new Chevy, and they had a life insurance policy for free when you bought one of thier vehicles.

but you had to have been wearing a seatbelt for the policy to pay off. (if you had died in a wreck)

that's when i started, and ever since then, by habit, i never needed any laws to tell me to "buckle up".

PE_T Thanks this.
  5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I find it hilarious that in YOUR vehicle your kids have to wear a seatbelt but in the government's vehicle nobody cares.

starmac Thanks this.
  6. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    same thing riding a motorcycle...that SOB is coming YOUR WAY...!!!

starmac Thanks this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Let’s say you are involved in a serious accident and you survive, but you are now disabled in some way. Some disabilities could be: unable to walk, move, see, hear, talk, etc. So now who takes care of you? Who pays your living expenses? Sure, you may be able to work, but your job opportunities have been greatly diminished. So you are then informed of these government programs for the disabled because you live in a developed country. Who pays for them? All of us. You have now affected your wife, kids, and our society. And why? Because you refused to put on some stupid seatbelt.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    You realize you agreed to abide by the rules of the road when you received your license, right? Driving is a privilege, not a right, and as such you can be restricted in your freedoms with no issue regarding the "muh freedoms" principal.

PE_T and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You should probably stop the truck first.

However, I will say that what happens on I-80 across northern Nevada stays in northern Nevada.

10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I always wear my seatbelt in a big truck or a four wheeler. Someone explained a situation that always stuck with me. Say you have a steer tire go or a mechanical failure of some sort that causes you to run off in the ditch. No seatbelt and you get tossed on to the floor, you’re just along for the ride. You at least have a shot at regaining control if your still in the drivers seat.

That’s and a seat belt ticket will cost me about 1800 bucks in bonus money at the end of the year.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    buddyd157 Thanks this.
  11. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Mine used to do that also, didnt matter if I had it on or not. It would start chiming, and light would come on. So I unplugged the electrical connection. Took a paperclip bent it and put one end in each side of connector. Circuit closed so truck thought it was always connected. But without the chime I sometimes "forgot" to actually connect it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.