Seat belts....do you always "buckle-up for safety"

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tonythetruckerdude, May 21, 2014.

1. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    I do....without fail....not because it's the law mind-you.....but because I've seen more than 1 person have to be literally "scrapped-up" off the road. Got passed by 2 car-loads of kids on I-10 one night about 30 miles +/- from Blythe Ca. They got together somehow and 1 vehicle lost control ,went out into the desert and rolled several times , the other one went into the median and over-turned. Me and my co-driver came onto this horrific scene just after it happened....kids everywhere.....thrown everywhere I mean....2 were lying on the edge of the interstate with pieces missing a couple were out in the sand a ways all crumpled-up....in all 7 of them were killed....I've been in combat and seen , and smelled , and heard grown men screaming for help....but some of the sounds that these kid's were making shouldn't come out of human beings....IIRC this was in the fall of '75... up til that night I hadn't really given the use of a seat belt too much thought....but after that......I'll never go even a few feet without one on....

what do some of you folks think...wear one or not....no judging going on here , just curious what some older hands and newer drivers think about the use of seat belts........Thanks TTTD.

Mr Ed, cowboy_tech, scottied67 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GearWarrant

GearWarrant Medium Load Member

Mar 20, 2014
    North Vernon, IN
    Yep, everytime I drive.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  4. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    I wear a seat belt on my truck because it's company policy and I abide by company policies. If I don't like the policies a company has, I can easily find another one. The seat belt policy (which all companies have anyway) doesn't register on my radar of what's important.

I ignore the seat belt in my car because I have zero respect for nanny state legislation. Were it not "law" to wear them, I'd use them in my car as well because they do make good sense, but I'll be ###### if I'll have them forced down my throat.

Wooly Rhino Thanks this.
  5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Did you realize it is not company policy, but in the FMCSA regs since 1971?

JReding Thanks this.
  6. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I wear them in every vehicle except, I sometimes forget when responding to the fire house for medical or fires.

However, I have been trying to wear them on the fire calls even in the fire gear since there have been some accidents of fire trucks responding to calls.

7. droflex

droflex Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Centralia, WA
    Every time the truck, or any vehicle I'm in is going to move, the belts are on. It's just a habit.

SHO-TYME Thanks this.
  8. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    I don't care about that, it's company policy to wear them. If it wasn't, I wouldn't.

9. TwinStickPeterbilt

TwinStickPeterbilt Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
  10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Good thing it is company policy to use a log book then.

JReding Thanks this.
  11. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Is this discussion about log books? No? Alright then.

chaz7r Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.