Seat belts....do you always "buckle-up for safety"

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tonythetruckerdude, May 21, 2014.

1. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    What a silly assertion, even on a sarcastic level. I don't think anybody here doubts their efficacy; that's not the issue.

I'd be cool with that, too. You know why? Such matters should be handled in the private sector.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bama07football

bama07football Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2012
    everywhere but home
    In new Hampshire its free choice whether u use a seat belt or not....new hamphire isn't all that bad for a state full of liberals.

Stile Thanks this.
  4. bama07football

Mar 29, 2012
    everywhere but home
    Even though its federal that truck drivers must wear seatbelt N.H. won't mess with you about it...I have been told that from a N.H. trooper

5. bama07football

Mar 29, 2012
    everywhere but home
    Stile....I like your style ....

Stile Thanks this.
  6. madman118

madman118 Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I wear my seat belt. I care less about making a political point than I do about keeping my brain case intact. If you want to get dead just to stick it to the man than go for it. Your funeral. literally.

7. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Thanks to everyone contributing to this one....some opinions were quite thought provoking and others heart-breaking......everybody be safe no matter what choice you make..to wear or not to....TTTD

Mr Ed Thanks this.
  8. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    You wear it in your truck "because it's company policy", don't wear it in your 4-wheeler because you're rebelling against a law predicated on what you admit is "good sense".

You feel no obligation to maintain contact with the driver's seat and maintain control of your vehicle... because you can steer and brake equally well with your head smooshed against the roof and your feet on the dashboard, or from the back seat...?

77smartin, SHO-TYME, browndawg and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    If you're in a situation where a seat belt would keep you in your seat, you've already lost control of the vehicle and no amount of steering wheel spinning or pedal mashing will fix it. As a professional driver, you should already know that.

That's a weak argument.

10. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    My checklist goes: 1. Key in ignition. 2. Seat belt. 2a. Extend shoulder portion to limit and release, which used to be required to set the inertia reel for proper operation, might still be.

It's so ingrained I often fasten it if I'm just pulling the car out of the garage into the driveway. Then I try to get out with it still fastened.

It'll be 43 years since I moved a foot on a public roadway w/o it, or with a passenger w/o it. No seat belt, no ride. That's my insurance for which you apparently have no regard.

Oddly enough, the day I became a religious "safety belt" wearer was the day after I probably wasn't killed by it. I drove off a 30' embankment at ~100 mph. There wasn't a salvageable piece of metal left of that car, from the axles to the wheels to the gear shift lever to the glove box door. I pulled everything in my R leg at the crotch, and had a small strawberry on my L arm. My passenger suffered a broken pinkie finger. We were both thrown clear at some point, through the convertible top.

OHP Trooper said if we'd ridden it out we'd both be dead.

The funny part of the story is my passenger found me buns-up on my face and knees. I could see the remains of the car lying on it's side in the moonlight. The first thing I asked was whether we could push it over on its wheels and get out of there, not yet aware I couldn't walk.

The other funny part is the trunk was full of empty beer cans and wine bottles, cleaned up after a party a few days before. They were strewn everywhere. Cop says "You been drinking?" "No", I lied. I was drunk, but not a drop came from those containers.

11. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Yes......in ANY vehicle I drive.....I start the engine,then buckle in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.