Seat belts....do you always "buckle-up for safety"

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tonythetruckerdude, May 21, 2014.

1. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    And "that" is why IMO I despise the seat belt law. If there is even one chance someone can die from wearing one..It should be a personal choice..As it is (last time I checked) my life.

Stile Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    So... 99 lives saved or serious injuries prevented trumps 1 fatality..?

As a "professional" driver you feel no responsibility to maintain your seating position and control of your rig in the event you go baha-ing across the median, and that should be your choice, because only your life is jeopardized.

In your 4-wheeler you have no responsibility to maintain your seating position. It would be a violation of the laws of physics for you to be thrown about the cabin and kick your passenger/s half to death, or for your body to be ejected from the vehicle to the roadway for motorists to dodge. None of that stuff's ever happened unexpectedly.

Noted.

SHO-TYME, Joetro and Mudguppy Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt, whether I'm in my truck or my car, as a driver or as a passenger. I know for a fact it saved my leg and likely saved my life when I was in a head on collision in 1976. Anyone that thinks the human body can withstand the force of cartwheeling through the air at 70 mph or sustain the crushing blow of your vehicle as it rolls over you has graduated to idiocy.

"Don't compound ignorance with stupid, and NEVER compound stupid with idiocy. If you don't know better then you are ignorant. If you know better and you do it anyway then you are stupid. If you justify being stupid then you are an idiot." - Granddad

5. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    I don't always wear a seatbelt , but when I do its because there is a sign that says "weigh station 1 mile "

Lol...

I honestly think it should be a choice . Here is my problem , so many states don't require helmets for motorcycle riders but I have to wear a seatbelt. Hmmmm something is not making sense there.

6. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    Just have to throw this one in. And why is it everyone on a bicycle wears a helmet?:biggrin_2556: What is their average speed..12mph??

tangerineGT and SHO-TYME Thank this.
  7. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    "Proof by assertion".

Having half a brain I know "loss of control" is not so absolute... well, I can't deny it might be for you. Can you provide any evidence no one has hit their head on the roof, fell back into their seat and regained control?

With the old spring-ride tractors that was not a rare occurrence, as many veterans can attest. The first time I jumped a 4-wheeler over a whoop-de-do it happened to me. You could have colored me surprised. Somehow, everything didn't go like it does in movies.

Proof by assertion for which you can provide no evidence is the definition of a weak argument.

SHO-TYME Thanks this.
  8. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Only on my motorcycle cuz there's no doors.

9. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    Their brain cases are not as impenetrable as some.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Had to think fast this morning.Im leaving Hyvee no seatbelt an heres and officer pulling into the parking lot.As he was making the turn I hurried up and put my seatbelt on.

11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Their average speed may be 12 mph (actually more like 20 mph), but the REAL problem isn't if they fall off their bike, the REAL problem is getting hit by a motor vehicle going much faster than 12-20 mph. Of course, if you are coasting down a steep hill on a bike it's not difficult to top 50 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1CLAFBbgPs

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.