Seat belts....do you always "buckle-up for safety"

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tonythetruckerdude, May 21, 2014.

1. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    That's motorcycle riders.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    You're cherry picking. Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_(fallacy)

It's kind of like arguing you aren't going to drive a vehicle that runs on combustible fluid because they sometimes catch fire.

4. tangerineGT

tangerineGT Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Red Lion , PA
    You really had to go and put that last part in my head .
    and I wasnt kiding , I really do look at all possible outcomes to a situation.
    There is a name for it but , I probably couldn't spell it or pronounce it.

5. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    I have been in 7 car wrecks...none being my fault...I was wearing my seatbelt in one of those. I figured awhile ago I had used up all my free passes...I now and have for many years worn it religiously. Maybe it was having my daughter that made me stop be a selfish SOB willing to make a point using stupid things such as not wearing a seatbelt. I want to be there for her and wearing a seatbelt makes me believe I stand a better chance of accomplishing that given what we see out there on a daily basis.

To each his own though.

Treputt, zmpart, NavigatorWife and 3 others Thank this.
  6. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Kind of reminds me of smokers complaining about regulations being placed on them, and how it's "My body, my choice"... as they flick their ashes and toss their cigarette butts out their window. Nevermind secondhand smoke(that'd be your truck careening through traffic as you struggle to get off the floor and back behind the wheel).

SHO-TYME Thanks this.
  7. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I was in an accident with my father in-law driving,,,that crap hurt and that was before seatbelts were law. I have worn a seatbelt since and that is the only reason I wear one. My kids wear one because they have worn one since they were born. That being said, I don't agree that it should be a law by any stretch. Me not wearing a seatbelt hurts no one but possibly me.... I am not for any law that doesn't protect someone, and we have a lot of them. Here is one for you,,,,it is against the law to commit suicide! Really? Who they going to arrest? Some laws are just stupid and the seatbelt law is as well. Again, I feel I am safer for wearing it but, I don't think anyone should be forced.

Stile Thanks this.
  8. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Is there a sign that says "You're going to have an accident in 1 mile", so you'll have time to put your seat belt on?

Joetro, Roadmedic and 77smartin Thank this.
  9. Stile

Stile Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    There sure is, you'll see it at your 999,998th safe mile.

Enjoy the journey!

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. wedge542

wedge542 Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2007
    roll tide
    What about when you pull over the scales and they look with long glasses to see your seatbelt and dont see one but you are in fact wearing one, not all trucks have seatbelts going accross your chest area but just the waste instead. Im guessing you go round back and talk to someone and not about fishing.

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Only problem I can see is that the non use of the seat belt can lead to increased injuries and costs associated with such injuries.

You have an accident and not wearing the seat belt and most on here have no problem saying it is their risk, then why should anyone pay for the increased cost of non compliance?

If statistics show that the accident would not have been fatal, then life insurance would no longer be required or wrongful death claim?

The issue here is that when the cars first came out, many bad accidents came with them. As the engineers developed things, they found them to be developing safety items.

Now, how many of the family guys would even consider not buckling in their children?

I know most will think this not relevant, but step back and think if you were not wearing the seat belt and some 4 wheeler caused your death and it was found that you would have survived without it, would your family be okay with your decision?

Maybe the government needs to step in and make the laws read that the driver or whoever chose to not wear the seat belt, so all costs of their injuries are their problem no matter who is at fault. After all, commercial driver over the log is held responsible no matter what.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.