Securing 60K lbs of steel

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by SPro, May 24, 2017.

1. SPro

SPro Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    New to securing of heavy loads so any tips will be appreciated.... The details: 48' trailer w/ a 54', 60K lb load of steel uni-strut (approx. 800 pcs). The load will be configured in (2) even (width, 8'; height (4'ish) & weight (30K); 27' long stacks). (4) 4"x4"x8's will be placed between each 3" layer of material...... Planning to use (4) 4" straps aligned w/ dunnage for each stack. Is this acceptable? What would be best practice? Are chains required? ... Note this will be a 6-8 hr haul.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Lol. Good one.

Razororange Thanks this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    with a 48 ft trailer, you don't have enough trailer for this load. you need a 53 ft trailer.

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  5. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    30k lbs stacks, I would suggest at least 6 straps per stack plus belly straps. If a chain over the front can be used it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to have it there. Edge protection for your straps.
    I assume this set up will be giving you overhang off the rear end, will that be legal in whatever states you are in? Will you have lights/flags as needed?

6. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    So your going to have 6' of overhang? If I'm reading this right. Some to the front and some to the rear I suppose? and you will have a few inches between front and rear stack. i would like to have a bulkhead in front of that forward stack but probably not feasible or legal in most states to have 7' of rear overhang on a divisible load. Not sure how susceptible the uni strut is to sliding in and out of the stack or if it's locked in pretty good. I would use 5 per stack plus 2 belly wraps per stack.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  7. SPro

SPro Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    To be hauled in CA. and will have flags for daytime (no night travel). The material has rolled edges and will be steel banded in groups of 6 to 11 pcs.... Is edge protection still necessary? Not familiar with (belly straps?)... Also confirmed w/ CHP Inspection Station that the rear 6' overhang is legal when flagged / lighted as necessary.... Thank you for your info.

8. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Did you ask them how they fell about a divisible load that's grossing 90k plus?

9. SPro

SPro Bobtail Member

May 24, 2017
    ....And thought a front overhang would be a good idea so we removed the front bulkhead. Then later learned that front overhang is not allowed when load is split (not continuous in length).

10. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You can have front overhang, you can have rear overhang, but if you are hauling a divisible load you can't be over 75'. So you will need it to be close to the back of the cab I'm thinking, depending on the tractor.

I'm also wondering if you are confused about weight laws. I can't imagine the combination that can legally scale a 60k load in California.

Razororange Thanks this.
  11. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Can't be over75' with a divisible load? Says who? I'm 77' with an empty trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.