Securing Large Coils

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by CDLman63, Oct 13, 2018.

1. CDLman63

CDLman63 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I have been told different things about securing a large coil by two safety personnel, so I am confused. Perhaps someone here can direct me to the law fmcsa that gives details about securing a large coil.
    Let me present an example of a single 40,000 lb steel coil loaded in suicide position using only chains. The WLL of each chain (across the flatbed) = 5000 lb.
    One safety person told me that the AWLL does NOT apply with a large steel coil, and that I would have to match the WLL's of the chains to the EXACT weight of the coil, i.e. I would need 8 chains to secure this coil.
    The other safety person told me that the WLL's of the chains only have to equal at least half of the weight of the coil, i.e. I would only need 4 chains to secure this coil.

My question is : When dealing with a large coil, e.g. 40,000 lb coil, do the WLL's of the chains have to match the total weight of the coil, or do the WLL's of the chains only have to be at least 1/2 of the total weight of the coil? Is the AWLL rule for 1/2 the load weight applicable or not when dealing with a single large coil?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Reason for edit: change wording again
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Its 1/2. Yes its applicable.

4. SixShooterTransport

SixShooterTransport Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2018
    This is one of those situations where you should take what the law says and add some common sense. If you only use 4 chains on a 40,000 lb. suicide coil you’re not only asking for trouble, you’re practically begging for it. There’s a reason they call them “suicide coils.”

Hurst, Nostalgic, Paddlewagon and 6 others Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

While you might "get away" with 1/2 the WLL, you do NOT want to put yourself in that position with a suicide coil. EVER.

There's a good reason why they call them Suicide Coils. Make ###### SURE you have that sucker well cradled in hardwood 4x4's with enough coil racks to support the weight on rubber mats, THEN go to town with your chains.

Anyone tells you to cut corners...

...go tell them to go #### themselves sideways.

6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    When in doubt, add more securement, that's what I've always been told.

RERM, PoleCrusher, Paddlewagon and 2 others Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    THROW everything that you can bind shut to something anchor all over your decking. Ive had 20 chain on those coils before.

I don't give a #### if it says 20K of WLL If I stop now, it needs to be in the order of 100K and up. And that's not enough.

SUICIDE is the word... the birds the word. the bird bird bird...

BigBob410 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK

taodnt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Company policy may differ from Federal securement rules. Federal securement rules are woefully inadequate, IMO.

You don't want that coil falling off. It will cost you less in the long run to trow more chains than it would to deal with a stray coil.

I like to think of this senerio when securing open deck...

It get's real faster than you think when you are going downhill. :eek:

10. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Per DOT it is 10k per chain but Maverick taught me to figure it at 8k per chain so that coil would be 6 chains for me but it is never wrong to do more.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.