Securing Large Coils

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by CDLman63, Oct 13, 2018.

1. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I used to put 6 on. 2 forward of the coil. 4 to the rear of the coil. Then criss cross two straps over the top just for the heck of it. Straps take 2 minutes to throw. IMO all of your problem is a hard stop and the 4 chains secured to the rear of the coil will fight it from going forward.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Uh...no.

The two long 4x4s you see holding coils aren't just sitting there on the deck, they're held in place by coil racks. Get a closer look sometime or ask a driver to show you some. The wood 4x4s aren't "chocks". They work together with the racks to form a stable cradle for the coil to sit in.

As to the original question, I was taught to secure for half the weight of the coil (which is the DOT requirement), then add one more chain (which was my company's requirement). I always chained 40k# suicide coils with 5 chains and 50k# coils with 6 (3/8 G70 6,600# WLL chain). You can use 8 chains on a 40k# coil if you want to, but it really is overkill. At that point, the outside chains are so far away from the eye of the coil, you're really not pulling it down onto the deck very much more with those extra chains spread way out.

Before I worked there, one of the drivers got in a wreck with a coil secured to the company standards I outlined above. The rig ended up upside-down in the ditch but landed in such a way the coil wasn't touching the ground. It was suspended from the deck upside down, but still perfectly secured in place. I saw the pictures in training.

My view was always that there was nothing to worry about when hauling suicide coils when secured properly. It's the shortcuts drivers take and laziness about securement checks that get people killed. Ask anyone who knows Detroit how many chains the Russians up there throw through their coils on those big "sled" trailers and I'm sure you'll steer clear of them when you see them next time!

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    @Bob Dobalina is correct about the 4x4's forming a cradle in the coil racks. You must keep the coil from touching the deck. All the weight has to be supported on the 4x4's. It's best to bevel the inside top edges of the 4x4's so the coil can get into the cradle without twisting or turning the boards. I've loaded plenty of cable reels and the forklift drivers have a heck of a time getting them straight on the rack. Without beveled edges those 4x4's can twist or turn in the coil racks.

Another thing to understand about hauling steel coils is that the coil racks have a weight rating. You can't just throw a couple on the deck and call it good. You have to know how much each rack is rated to support, then lay enough racks on a friction pad to support that weight before placing your beveled oak 4x4's. As with chains, I always add one more than required.

5. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    I see what you are saying about the 4x4s. Maybe some need better training. I saw 1 guy left Nucor in Decatur today with only 3 chains.

D.Tibbitt and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    On coil racks, a good thumb rule, racks equal chains.
    5 chains, 5 racks. Another good idea is a minimum of 3 racks. Always put one in the center.
    Large coils can bend even hardwoods. Should that timber break, the coil is loose and may come visit you.

PoleCrusher, JonJon78 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Maybe someone can write a screenplay.

COIL

IT will come for a visit and flat out level your world! No chains can hold it back! There's NO hiding from...

... the COIL!

Comingtoatheaternearyou.

Rated I for idiots.

MACK E-6, JonJon78, shogun and 5 others Thank this.
  8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Good idea for the racks and chains... The ones i used rated @ 10k a piece i usually throw an extra than i need just to be sure its supported good.. Never thought of doing racks to chains equally seems like good idea

1johnb and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Then i would suggest the bunks [iron] are in the wrong place. Always make sure the irons are UNDER the coil not outside of the coil.
    And make sure no part of the coil is touching the floor.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2018
    Reason for edit: Fixed quote
  10. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I know the law says bevelled lumber but I always found a big sledge worked better. Actually a sledge is probably a good idea even with bevelled lumber. It makes a difference if you are loaded with a c hook or clamps too
    It would seem to me, with bevelled, the coil sits on top of the wood not between it.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Ah 3 chains. That’s what I use to hold the coil in place while I put the other 6 chains on it.

D.Tibbitt and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.