securing the vehicle before pre-trip

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by natedizel, Sep 13, 2017.

1. natedizel

natedizel Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Hey guys, I have a question about the air brake test and pre-trip. Now I never driven standard transmission so I'm already behind.

Anyways before pre trip and airbrake test you have to secure the vehicle by setting the brakes, putting transmission in 1st gear, key in pocket and chalking driver side drive wheels. My question is before I start the vehicle do I have to put the transmission in neutral and to put it in 1st gear does the engine have to be running? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    If the truck is off it should be in Netural. Then you put it in first gear after that.

I've never heard of an airbrake test where you have to take the key out of the ignition and put it in your pocket and chock the wheels. Are you sure that is right?

4. luckystar

luckystar Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Maybe they are just trying to teach them to make sure the truck is turned off while doing the air brake test, seems silly to put the key in your pocket but whatever helps them learn i guess. Im sure many have tried to do the test with the truck running .

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  5. luckystar

luckystar Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Before you turn the key to start it,put it in Neutral or push in the clutch or the starter will be trying to move the truck forward, thats not good on equipment. I only start my truck in neutral. The truck doesnt necesarily have to be running to go in first gear, you can sit in a truck thats turned off and run the shifter through the gears. I guess i dont really understand your question

6. natedizel

natedizel Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2017
    In Rhode island it is right. You will get failed for not putting the key in your pocket while out of the vehicle.

7. natedizel

natedizel Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2017
    I was told a story of someone who went for the test and on the pre trip the trooper let him do the whole thing. At the end of it the trooper said that was a real good pre trip but where's your key. The dude left it in the truck and he got failed.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hell, we had 5 keys. She's a running.

Im a dinosaur.

If you really wanna secure a truck, (Set trailer brake only red button then do that tug against the trailer's 5th wheel before setting your tractor brakes) that way not even God can pull that 5th wheel pin causing you to drop that load down to the pavement after you leave from lunch.

WesternPlains and natedizel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.