Seeking CDL (Oil & Gas) Position In San Antonio, TX

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by 31N90W, Mar 6, 2015.

1. attackkatt

attackkatt Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Rockledge Florida
    Ok, I have a driving test and drug screen with Circle Bar A .. I will let you all know. I'm a little old to be working in the fields, but after the last few years in management ...... I just want to get away from the BS. Not to mention Florida is the worst state to look for work. 27 years OTR not counting growing up with the families fleet 60's-82, I only took time out for 6 years in the Air Force, but the one thing I learned is.... Trust nobody "completely" !!! The Mega Corps today, of course, only see you as temporary labor and a seat filler. You are only as good as your last delivery. And i don't blame them.. several years in the market not only made me rich for a short time but I seen how the money is drummed up, and "sadly" I was part of it. After deregulation, companies were sucked up, equipment sold, pay slashed.. wash and repeat. Like us older folks have found out with WalMart and how "instant Gratification" destroys the America we once knew... So did the cash rich "shareholders" Mega Fleets. In closing... You need to take the job that screws you the least. Not necessarily the best paying job or newest equipment and fabulous benefits or bonuses. Trust me,,,, if it's a big company? First, Make sure they are privately owned ! " if you had seen the Press Releases from Public Trucking companies ?? They make even a market scammer cringe .. but the big traded companies have congressmen, senators and high profile lawmakers buying up shares" The people running off small companies and mandating e-logs ,are heavily invested in transportation stocks "go figure ?" The trend is changing ! So, Find the small fleet under a hundred THAT STEALS THE LEAST... Good luck, and remember..it's a game Thanks Scott

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Haystak88

Haystak88 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    Congratulations. Not sure how old you are, but hauling frac sand is the easiest way to go. A lot of wait time most days. If it doesn't work out with them and hauling sand is what your interested in, while your in SA go visit Chalk Mountain, they are still considered a smaller company and should meet your criteria. They are growing quite a bit, but have the steady work to do so.

attackkatt Thanks this.
  4. jolivares

jolivares Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2015
    There's an Acme terminal in Von Ormy (south San Antonio) that's hiring drivers for drive away, they just drive the trucks for them (lots of work for Schlumberger). I don't know how involved you want to be in the actual field work though. Chalk Mountain is south in Pleasanton, they require 18 months but 17 might be fine. They haul sand and recently I've seen them bring in some fancy new vacuum trucks. There are lots of companies in Pleasanton, not sure how many are hiring now but it may be worth it to check in that area (on Craigslist and such). Louisiana Crane and Construction has a yard down there, too. Good luck!

5. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    What the Heck.............. gee, for some reason, this thread is not automatically going to my email in-box? Anyway, I checked this thread this am, and there were some leads on oil & gas jobs in the San Antonio area! Great, thanks to all who replied! I recently visited San Antonio (for the first time), and want to relocate to that area, man, I love that city. Even as far/close as a half hour or so away from San Antonio itself would be OK with me. So I am researching and applying to any oil & gas jobs that I see in that area.

If anyone hears of any positions, please let me know, and again, thanks.

Eddie
    a/k/a 31N90W

6. Haystak88

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    If you love that area, apply with Dupre to work in the Floresville yard.

7. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Excellent, thanks! And, I applied to Dupre this am!

8. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Did you get hired by Circle Bar A?

9. Haystak88

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    ...or, you can apply with Coastal Plains out here in West Texas where they offer NICE free housing. I swore I'd never come back here, but the offer was too good. I'm gonna make more here than any other place in Texas or Louisiana that I've worked. The area absolutely sucks, but I'm going to make that sacrifice and stick it out this time.

10. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Haystak...... hi............ were you talking to me? If so, please know that I am currently employed in West Tex.... with an outfit that offers a free Man Camp - located in Crane, TX. You wrote, "The area absolutely sucks "bingo ditto..." My problem is that I am not into the rustic West Tx. country life, and desperately need to get to a real city (read San Antonio).

But, please tell me this, do you find that you earned more in this god-forsaken area (West TX - with all due apologies to the residents of West TX) than you earned in San Antonio? From my research it seems that a part of the matter is that you can earn more in West Texas (WT) than in other parts, because you have to put up with.... dare I say it, WT. Few want to come out here and of those that do, even less tough it out.

On another note, I have applied to the outfits mentioned earlier in this thread (in San Antonio) and I have found that the outfits that would have gobbled-you-up right out of driving school some 6 months ago are now asking for experience in their field, ie, crude oil haulers only want people with crude oil experience, etc.

And, yes y'all, I am fully aware that there is a slow down in the oil & gas industry.

My attitude is, keep looking, remain hopeful, and fully appreciate that I have a job, for now, gulp.......

31N90W

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  11. Haystak88

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    Well written. Yes, it has been my experience making more in West Texas, as long as I'm paid by the hour. These lease roads are too rough and the distance traveled was too long to make real money while being paid by the load. Again, this has been my experience. I actually experienced that working for Plains out here. I was thrilled when I was hired, think I finally made it to the "big time" as it's hard to beat Plains. Like I said though, being able to only get 2 loads a day because of reasons I mentioned wasn't bringing me home enough money. I told myself living in this area isn't worth it if the money wasn't there. So I left and said I would never come back. Well, here I am, back again.

I've worked south Texas out of Kenedy and Floresville, out of San Antonio and Houston as well as Lafayette in Louisiana. Of course I would rather be in a big city where you actually can have a life. My life is in Florida though, I just work in Texas and that will never change. I don't care for Texas at all. With that being said, I'm out here for the money and that's it. Living in the city and working in this business was costing me $1,000 a month minimum for living expenses, which defeats my purpose of being here. So finding a company that provides housing is key. Unless, like you, are looking to actually live in the area. So maybe San Antonio is right for you. For me, I'll take a 5-1 schedule, free housing and the 72 hours a week for as long as I can stomach this hell hole. Obviously I only am giving my opinion, from my experiences. In my three years out here I've done a lot of jumping around. I've worked in order with Nabors, Chalk Mountain, South C&C/Central Crude, K3, Plains, Dupre and Coastal Plains. I follow the money and have made some mistakes along the way. Where I'm at now, if things keep going at the current pace, I should expect to gross $8,900 a month. This will be slightly more than I've made previously, but with free housing. That is why I'm here, nothing else.

Not it sure why I went into detail about myself as no one really cares lol. Anyway, hope some of what I said may help someone in some way. Good luck to you all and keep us posted.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.