Seeking Feedback

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by technonoob, May 16, 2024.

1. technonoob

technonoob Bobtail Member

May 16, 2024
    Hello Truckers,

I am a technologist exploring an idea about providing continuous telemetry (camera feed, temperature, and other sensors) from inside a cargo truck. Please excuse my lack of experience in this field, as I have never worked with trucks before. I am seeking feedback on whether this is a significant issue. I've heard anecdotally that having a dashboard to display the condition of the cargo inside the truck (e.g., if anything is broken or the temperature is off) via a single dashboard might be helpful.

Is this a real problem that you face? Are there existing solutions for this? The idea is to install a camera with a simple setup and build software to process and display the data.

Please educate me if I'm missing something or if there are other important considerations.

Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KDHCryo

KDHCryo Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2023
    You don't need more camera's

You need better truckers who care enough to secure the load, and deliver it intact.

4. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I don’t know what good a camera would do.As far as temperature I pretty sure newer refrigerated trailers already have that ability to send that information back to the company and the customer

TX2Day, Crude Truckin' and gentleroger Thank this.
  5. technonoob

May 16, 2024
    That's fair :) From fleet owners perspective, would they be interested in this ? I must also point out the anecdote was from a conversation with an owner not drivers (what my friend told me, so possible some messaging is lost)

6. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    For temperature controlled (primarily refrigerated freight) the newer refrigeration units have temperature monitoring.

A few years back, Some of the loads I hauled the shipper tossed a monitoring box into the back that would record and transmit data to a facility via cell data connection. Typically what was recorded was GPS location and temperatures. Temp for product quality, GPS for security.

Receiver would just download the data and send batches of monitors back to shippers.

May want to check out these folks and see if you offer anything they do not have covered.
    ShockWatch Indicators

Dennixx Thanks this.
  7. technonoob

May 16, 2024
    Thanks @Blu_Ogre I will check it out. Its exactly the discovery we need to do. Don't want to solve problems that don't exist or that are already solved. So appreciate your inputs.

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    This technology already exists - omnitracs, orbcom, teletrack, etc. The question is can you do it better and cheaper?

The two main problems are the cameras/wiring getting torn up by the freight/loaders and how much data it uses.

Flat Earth Trucker and TX2Day Thank this.
  9. technonoob

May 16, 2024
    Thanks @gentleroger ! Haven't gotten to pricing discovery yet. This is helpful for me to study on what these solutions offer. Do you know how much roughly these solutions cost ? I couldn't tell from the website.

10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The company I work for has 60,000 trailers, the service is bundled in with other stuff, and we have it installed by the trailer manufacturer not aftermarket. So even if my knowledge wasn't more than 5 years old, it wouldn't be worthwhile information.

You'd also be entering a crowded marketplace with a limited audience. Coupled with no experience in the industry, you're really trying to roll a granite block uphill because even if you get the trailer tracking working at an attractive price point - what else can you bring to the table? ELD, dispatch, work flow solutions?

https://www.skybitz.com/trailer-tracking
    Telematics + Fleet Management | Platform Science

11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Except for when one finds the inside of the trailer damaged and need proof of who has damaged it these are the times when they wished there was a camera in the trailer.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.