Seeking Master Broker's Certificate

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by OV1D, Dec 15, 2009.

1. OV1D

OV1D Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2009
    ILLINOIS
    Is anyone familiar with the David G Dwinell's Transportation Entrepreneurs School in Arizona? His web site, Loadtraining.com, advertises the importance of obtaining a Master Broker's Certificate before beginning a carrier as a broker and sites that as an owner operator the knowledge is invaluable.
    I ask because I am seriously considering taking this course in Arizona before entering the trucking industry, as an owner operator separately brokering my own loads. If anyone has experience with this school I would greatly appreciate you sharing that experience with me.
    Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    You don't need a brokers license to get your own loads. Only brokers need them. Unless you are going to "broker" loads for other drivers and take the risk of paying them.

AGENTS on the other hand find loads and then get brokers to finance the load. The broker is the guy with the money. Agents only need loads. They rely on the brokers to pay them and the trucker. They also have to pay a bond and that bond is going up due to bottom feeders who have screwed drivers and now they all are getting bent when they finally go into effect.

All you need to do is have enough money in the bank to pay your truck note, fuel, break downs and pay your self with not to mention all the other bills you have each month.

This is called smart business! If you don't have enough money to work on until the pay from the companies that pay on 30-60-90 day notes starts to come in then you do not need to try to be an O/O as all you will be doing is acting like an O/O but being an L/P driver! It's the same if you're going to be an L/P. This is where these guys are screwing up by "going into business" without a penny in their pockets thinking they can survive on a week to week pay check!

All you need to do is #1 figure out what kind of freight you want to haul. #2 look for companies with this kind of freight and call them and ask the shipping clerk if they have any freight. You'd be surprised what you can find on the internet! Just tell them you are an O/O and are looking for companies to haul for. If who you contacted doesn't work with O/O's call the next number. Be ready to fax or email all of your "company" paper work to them so they can check your credit (while you check theirs) and sign whatever they send you in contract form. Just remember that in case of a breakdown you are the one responsible to get the load there on time even if you have to lease a truck from Ryder or you could be out of more money due to missed dead lines.

But remember most companies don't pay when the BOL's get there as they pay on a monthly time schedule! This is why money in the bank in EXCESS of $30,000 is necessary!

Now my question is WTF are you even considering on becoming an O/O with NO freaking experience? Do you want to fail right off the bat?

Take some serious advice and drive for someone else for a few years THEN decide if you want to do the O/O trip! There are too many old experienced drivers parking or loosing their trucks! Wait till this cesspool of a life and economy clears up! Or do you think failing wont happen to you?

Yes, I sound like an arse but I'm being as honest as I can with you.

Now as to the school. It might help you learn the tricks of getting loads and how to do check credits, ratings, and safeStat scores and many other things in the brokering world but ask him if he gives you "free software" that will get you into paid load boards for a year free and other contact information such as Dun and Bradstreet, Blue Book on line and links into the USDA government age reports and many others. I also hope he doesn't charge more than $1500 for the course as any more is actually a rip off!

Good Luck but really think before you jump into the O/O life!
    Rollover

MCss and Fratsit Thank this.
  4. MCss

MCss Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2009
    american
    Now as to the school. It might help you learn the tricks of getting loads and how to do check credits, ratings, and safeStat scores and many other things in the brokering world but ask him if he gives you "free software" that will get you into paid load boards for a year free and other contact information such as Dun and Bradstreet, Blue Book on line and links into the USDA government age reports and many others. I also hope he doesn't charge more than $1500 for the course as any more is actually a rip off!

Can anyone, (rollover) recommend a school that's not a rip off?

5. MCss

MCss Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2009
    american
    Can anyone, (rollover) recommend a school that’s not a rip off?

6. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    No, I can't! I went to one about 4 years ago and I paid $1000 for a day and a half! The only real good thing was I got in a good road trip on the bike saw my family and had a blast! Yes I learned quite a bit but and came away with access codes for various sites which made it worth while but a lot of what was covered I already knew from years back when I was an O/O and got many of my loads from shippers I knew and knew how I ran and my reliability as a driver and the care I took with their freight.

$1000 is the low average and maybe 2 - 3 days. Does that seem fair? Not to me! Check with some brokers in your area and see if they will give you training. It seems that anything to do with trucking is so over priced! I bet every one of these "schools" have 5-20 people a "class" which can be from 2 - 5 days with YOU paying the motel costs.

You have to ask your self this question. "Just HOW many brokers and agents can the industry handle without loads being resold 2-3-4 times taking money OUT of the drivers pocket?" That's why I don't agent unless I get loads straight from the shipper. I stay away from boards but with the economy as it is these days low lives will go the easy route! I only do it when a friend calls because so many drivers have an attitude right from the get go and I've been around the block to many times to put up with Prima Donnas! I prefer drivers who can write down the info and hit the road not someone I have to hold hands with! Geeze the guys my age are leaving so darn fast! sigh!

Drivers, especially the O/O's are getting burned badly by leasing on to some companies that only use boards and even using boards themselves. I look at the prices several times a week and the difference of what shippers post and the boards and brokers is sometimes up to 30%. WHY do these brokers feel that 30% for pushing a few papers around a desk and a few minutes on the phone is fair to the guys and gals who have to haul the freight and put up with ALL the BS?

I will throw this bone to everyone so you can see what's happening to the money! This is the USDA site that follows the produce side of freight rates and evey driver should be aware of just how badly they are getting ripped off by these L/P plans and even O/O's who lease on for paltry mileage pay when the companies are getting more than HALF of the freight charges! 3 W's .ams.usda.gov/mnreports/wa_fv190.txt it's fairly self explanatory.

This is why I have preached you look into the cost of getting your OWN authority or at least look up how much it costs along with all the other costs (insurance, all kinds, bobtail and the other necessities) then compare it to what you are "paying" the company you're leasing to or from! Hopefully you'll see that yes you ARE getting bent because bottom feeder is "doing you a favor"! PLEASE, check with OOIDA and they will be GLAD to tell you EVERYTHING you need to do it yourself! It's way cheaper than an L/P program. If you don't have the up front money then please do the company driver route until you do! You can NOT go into business without the operating costs in the bank! Why do you think so many fail on these fleece programs? You'll find that 2 months of work pays for the costs of what you need! Figure out the difference!

Good Luck
    Rollover

MCss Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.