Self driving cars

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by daniphoenix, Sep 18, 2017.

1. daniphoenix

daniphoenix Light Load Member

So, I am planning on making a career out of driving and going for training in the next few months. My parents primary argument was that it's not good work for women, but my brother brought up the question of self driving cars, which frightened me more.

A lot of news articles and people from Silicon Valley are saying self driving cars are about three to for years away. What does this mean for the industry? For the millions of not only semi but bus, taxi and delivery drivers? For all the small towns who depend of truckers spending money on food and lodging? Does three to four years off mean they'll just have a proto type that works but makes mistakes all the time, or full on replacement in that short of a time?

Granted, these things happen in all fields. Taxi drivers become uber drivers... a lot of companies brought sent their call center work over to India, but then brought it back to america after all the complaints about not being able to speak with someone who speakers English.

With all this going on, what's a way to try and ensure employment as this happens?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    You will retire before it happens.

Toomanybikes, tscottme and daniphoenix Thank this.
  4. Rackpass 85

Rackpass 85 Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Yeah really they cant keep the people alive inthe few they've tested without killing people!

daniphoenix Thanks this.
  5. daniphoenix

Even starting out as a new driver in 2017, you think I'll retire before it happens?

6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Trains run a a track, and they still need to have a human at the controls!!

tscottme and street beater Thank this.
  7. Longarm

Longarm Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2011
    What's your timeline?

There are autonomous trucks already on the highway (testing).

Dan.S Thanks this.
  8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Eh? Drivers will always be needed, its a liability thing. 1 death and whos to blame? Nope. Drivers are cheaper. They may pontoon or whatever, but auto trucks dont fuel, handle complex situations, respond to police instruction exc.. they cant do flats (tarp and secure) they cant do pump off (tanks) they cant unload themselves (ltl) ...

Bob Dobalina and daniphoenix Thank this.
  9. daniphoenix

I'm looking to start driving in November December
    so... the first like ten years of self driving cars will probably be the equivalent of a super fancy auto pilot? That makes me feel better.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's simply media hype. Kinda like flying cars coming every decade or so.

Can it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Not in my lifetime

As for not good work for women, well we have some very good female posters here that can give experiences.

TripleSix and daniphoenix Thank this.
  11. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    As soon as somebody hacks one of those self driving cars and turns it into a weapon, it's gonna slow the whole concept down.

TripleSix and daniphoenix Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.