Self Driving Trucks are Coming

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scottied67, Jun 11, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    on the drivers that broke the laws, and regs, i can give you that. we are not self policing like in some foriegn countries nor do we really band together like in some foriegn countries and shut down and strike.

we think of ourselves most of if not ALL the time.

we always "talk the talk" at the truck stop counter(s) or on the cb radio, but when we leave, we end up saying, "i ain't got no time for that, the other guys do, so i'll let THEM DO IT"......

and there you go...noting but a bag of hot air.

and as a result, we get railroaded by the DOT, FMCSA, politicians, and the american public, not to mention, the big railroad companies.....now THEY have an agenda for sure.

wouldn't surpise me one bit, IF any of the railroad comapnies have a vested.......quiet......annoynomous interest in this robotic future.

but for the present time, and forseeable future, all that can be done is testing, testing, testing..

and like someone said, when the robots follow the GPS and they drive over a cliff or into a line of cars, or over a light weight bridge, the future of robitics will be put on hold.

i'd worry not about self driving trucks, look at it this way....take your age NOW, and figure how many more years till you retire......it'll never happen any sooner than that

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    same thing holds true in bad weather, like snow, slush, and ice on those sensors...

next will be mini heaters and wiper blades with tiny washers to keep'em clean...!!!!

even a dirty windshiled can cause the whole kittenkaboodle to go haywire......

Consumer Reports: keep your vehicle sensors clean

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  4. Korodoch

Korodoch Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2017
    We could get into a large discussion about machine learning, but you are correct about the parameters selected for learning; figuring those out is key. But, Tesla has billions of hours of sample driving to feed to the machine algorithms. At somepoint, they will get the minimum necessary parameters correct. I am sure their ownership agreement allows Tesla to record every mile driven by one of their cars. Once they figure it out, it will happen all at once. Is the new neural net hardware upgrade enough for the automated systems? Only time will tell.

Currently, the Tesla autopilot is worse than humans at a simple lane change.

The reality we live in is not one of ability but of liability. Until those issues are sorted out, major companies are not going to move even if they are cheaper.

faux_maestro and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  5. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Let's also remember that this is with a little 1 ton coupe; a 40 ton tractor-trailer is another beast entirely, which leads to wonder just how many of Tesla's current parameters will be usable for a truck

6. I can't wait..Hopefully it's like they say can just sit there and monitor it that'll be wonderful. but have somebody there who can control the truck if the system should fail and you have to bring it under control other than that.... watch TV have fun play guitar goof Off hell yeah get paid for it

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
  8. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    but what is the expectation of a pay..??

can you seriously believe that if all you get to do is sit and play yer gitar, you gonna be paid high dollars.>???

i can maybe foresee minimum wages.....(like many get paid now)

Steelersjunkie and faux_maestro Thank this.
  9. Korodoch

Korodoch Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Oh absolutely. That is why I am more interested in the liability aspect of it than the actual ability as government moves slowly.

I am sure Tesla has agreements to sell their billions of miles of recordings to other companies in the industry (for AI learning). The parameters will need to be adjusted for the trucks as they are different. Imagine a team of 5 or so people setting new parameters full time for 1000 simulations running every day. It will learn fairly fast (not at fast a human, but it can learn 24 hours a day).

Let's be honest: Driving a truck is not difficult in and of itself. It is more about being aware of those differences and being able to attend to the task 10 hours a day. There might be some additional parameters (length of the vehicle, jack-knife awareness), but most of them should be able to be trained in simulations.

10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree

11. Korodoch

Korodoch Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Once the ability (AI is good) and liability (who is responsible) is worked out, it will happen over the course of 3 years.

Why 3 years you ask? Because that is how frequently the major carriers replace their vehicles. Best case for humans is we need to babysit the trucks while they are operating, but don't expect anything better than minimum wage. Worse case, it becomes fully automated.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.