Semi pushes car for half mile on I-55 after crash

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by solitary_con, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Not sure how to respond to that. But it would also be interesting to have some insight into how that situation came to be.

But no doubt there will be a few members here come to defend the trucker at least until such time as all the facts are brought forward. There might have been a good reason for the trucker's actions, don't you know. Something like - Company policy says you can not stop on the shoulder.

Lepton1 and Naptown Thank this.
  3. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    The car most likely got spun out in front of the truck. The guy drives a tanker and doesn't know what smoke smells like?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive hit cars and brought them across my bumper several times. I know exactly what it feels like and the associated situation pertaining to that. But they are never pushed half a mile.

I am hoping the video that was captured has a time stamp. Plus a cell phone average pinged location perhaps. Once we have time and lat long information down to 20 feet on the planet to capture a range of trucks that passed that way, possibly from Scale House Prepass transponders or perhaps volunteering information from company shop who heard of front end damage etc.

This driver did not just hit a car, he attempted vehicular homicide however many counts times the people inside car. What would have been a standard spin out or hit smash became a murder try. Through either negilgence in falling asleep at the big rig wheel or something else such as a will ful desire never to stop for a vareity of power ful motives.

That driver needs catching.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That was on the local news here...apparently, it happened where 44 & 55 merge together. Car attempted to merge in front of the truck from the blind side & wasn't quite clear. Oops. Rather than realizing his mistake and correcting, he continued trying to force his way in front of a driver who couldn't see he was there, spinning him sideways in front of the truck...still in the truck's blind spot given that from what I remember it looks like it had a pretty good size hood, and drivers of that style truck tend to prefer sitting on the floor exacerbating the blind spots this car occupied.

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Most likely the case here pedigreed

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    What's that burning smell? Am I on fire? Look!! A magic car! It wasn't in front of me when I took the exit ramp but now it is right next to me..hold on..I got to take this call..

I wonder what a good excuse is for this truck driver.

Video: Truck drags car 4 miles down highway in California

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Okay, so the driver never thinks to be wary if incoming traffic, and so the driver doesn't hear or feel something pretty serious going on? The driver doesn't see the car peeling off from the front end and doesn't find that "odd"?

SMH. I guess when the driver did his PTI, he figured he must have hit a large invisible critter with a hard shell.

Lepton1, buddyd157 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Regardless, that's one truck driver who shouldn't be in possession of a CDL, let alone be transporting fuel in a truck with a hood.

Lepton1, jethro712 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    When I was driving tow trucks, I had a 4700 series International with a 27' aluminum rollback...certainly not the largest truck on the road, but big enough for what we were doing. One night, as I was slowing to pick up an abandoned car from the shoulder (with 2 state police cars behind it) and about to leave the travel lane (probably down to 15 or so mph...and yes, ALL of my warning lights and work lights were on...I was lit up like a Christmas tree, as were the two state cars), I was rear ended by a car still traveling at highway speeds. I heard a "thud", but didn't feel any impact. I didn't dawn on me that I'd just been hit until I looked in my mirror and saw the crunched up car stopping off in the grass behind me.

So a light "tap" from a car pitting itself against the truck's front bumper, where everyone is going the same speed? I don't doubt the driver's claim for a second.

About a year after I started driving, I put my front bumper into the rear quarter panel of a car passing me on the shoulder as I was making a right turn into a parking lot. I hit the brakes as soon as I saw the car (even though it was pretty much by me at that point) and thought i had missed him. Nope. Did a good deal of damage to his car and scuffed my bumper...never felt it. Of course when he gave a fake name and refused to get the cops out there, the company didn't worry about it.

Point is, cars are like gnats. If the impact is slight, you won't feel anything...so if you can't see them, you won't know anything has happened.

Bud A., Lepton1 and BUMBACLADWAR Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.