Semi rig setup for o/o question

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by John Bertucci, Sep 3, 2019.

1. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
    ok so I just got done speaking with a man whos opinion i value greatly. He isn’t a trucker but he works on them in the oil fields and claims to know a great deal.

I consulted him about best options for an o/o getting started and told him I had my eyes mainly set on aero trucks Freightliner/Volvo. He told me that was insanity and that I must get a long nose peter or Kenworth because they are the best hands down and will be the cheapest to maintain.

What’s yalls thoughts on it?

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xairx

xairx Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2019
    They may be the best, but the "cheapest to maintain" part sounds waaaayyy off from the truth.

+10 points for Volvo quality of ride. I'm not saying get a Volvo, just that they ride very very nice. I got a Mack, and I regret it. It's basically a cheaper Volvo but rides like %&*#^@^.

FlaSwampRat and John Bertucci Thank this.
  4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    He is probably talking about pre emissions trucks. Buying a truck is a roll of the dice. You don't know what you have until you start running with it.

If all other trucks are bad, why are there so many on the road.

Oil field I think the trucks need a thicker frame. So the aero trucks probably aren't made with off road designed in them.

What you need to know is what are you doing with the truck.

Aero truck might be your best option, if you're pulling a van. Short nose day cab for local or regional.

Long hood with a big motor for ice road! Haha.

Good luck. As you have started, do a lot of research.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If all you're doing is highway hauling. FL or volvo.

If all you're planning on is playing in the dirt. KW or Pete. They have heavier duty rear ends.

Trucks don't last on dirt roads though. I know a few KW's literally falling apart. But at least them rear ends can take some abuse. Can't say that about FL. Those literally blow up when you get stuck.

6. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Otr I would pick Freightliner DD15 or Volvo . Old iron ain't bad but they get less mpg and with older equipment comes the repair and maintenance issues. Ideally a Newer truck with a permissions engine would be ideal .

7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Lordy, every brand truck has the same rearends, it depends on how you spec them. It also depends on what you will be doing and how long you intend to keep the truck, resale does matter.
    In some ways petes and kw, and even big hood freightliners are cheaper to work on, as they have more room and access to the components.

8. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Isn't this thread started every day or two?

9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Yea, but there is no real answer, so it never gets finished. lol

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    This is better than a smoke a coffee some mornings. I thrive in this.

Easy up easy down. Video is not mine, but it is a quality one. Lepton1 had one that was very good also.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    According to the 2 wreckers that towed my FL dump truck home. Yep. Blew the rear twice. Easy thing to do.

FL builds highway trucks. Not off road trucks. Their rear ends aren't as strong.

And I"m not talking about axles either. Those were hardcore blowups. Pinion shaft, gears, and housing.

The company I'm with now for the last 3 1/2 years. All KW. Not one blowup yet. We play in muddy fields. Those trucks take abuse that put that FL dump truck to shame. And they just keep on trucking.

BTW. My truck was a former Werner sleeper truck.

FlaSwampRat, x1Heavy and John Bertucci Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.