Semi slams School Bus

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Cattleman84, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    :laughing3:

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Seriously haha

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    A few years ago I was pulling a loaded fertilizer chassis (kinda like a hopper bottom, but it has a 21' auger that sticks about half way oit the back) grossing 80k plus. It was winter, on a back county road that had packed snow and ice all across the road. Speed limit was 50 mph, I was doing about 35 to 40.

A school bus was coming the other way so I let off the throttle and hugged the shoulder. The bus turned on the yellows, and I started gently on the brakes and down shifting. My drives started wanting to slide out toward the shoulder and steep borrow-pit, I was doing everything I could to get stopped without losing control.

The bus driver saw that I was struggling as she came to a complete stop and turned on the red lights and Stop sign. I saw her point over her shoulder at a kid, who immediately sat back down. Then the reds and stop sign shut off and she stuck her arm out the window and waved me by. After I passed she turned the reds amd stop sign back on and the kids got off the bus.

I could have got stopped, but I might have ended up sliding off the shoulder some. That road has a really bad crown. Her paying good attention saved us both alot of stress... She didnt have to worry if I was going to loose control and hit her bus, and I didnt have to worry that I might have to put my truck in the ditch if the "Fit hit the Shan."

Had I not been able to stop, hit the bus, a kid, or put my truck in the ditch, it would have been 100% my fault... And if I had been forced to choose I would have taken the ditch.

I only wish all bus drivers paid as close attention as she did that day.

5. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Given the time of year, and depending on time of day I will cover my brake, and get off throttle in anticipation.

It is the difference between those that say #### happens. And those with 2 or 3 million accident, incident, and ticket free miles under their belt.

6. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    I Agree 100% but it will never stop happening. Common courtesy is a rarity these days regardless of what you drive. Unfortunatley Its a “every man for them selves” kinda world now.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    This is why they teach defensive driving(or at least they did when I was in high school).

06driver Thanks this.
  8. Muddydog79

Apr 14, 2016
    Lol i hear ya

9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I'll roll through a stop sign in low gear if there's nobody at the shop sign or approaching it. Pulling out in front of somebody is stupid and it happens everywhere, just this morning some ####### pulled out in front of me from behind a truck I about hit the idiot.

10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    If the plaintiff's name was Drumpf, would that make a difference?

Google it.

11. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Not the plaintiffs name now is it. Nice try though bub.

wore out Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.