semi truck registration/2 state opperation

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ezrider_48501, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    I know a guy running a truck almost just like the one i bought only a little uglier, got some peeling paint issues. been running the truck for about a year now with very little issues.

this truck seems to be mechanically sound. ran great for the 100 mile trip home with it today it seemed to get great fuel millage. fuel gauge hardly moved the entire drive, grant it i was bobtail however there was hardly a noticeable difference in fuel level after 100 miles. i almost wish i would have topped the tanks before i left so i could have checked the fuel millage. that mechanical 60 series Detroit seemed to sip the fuel even with the 3.73 rears in it. (for the work ill be doing with it the 3.73's will be great) but not great gears for bob tailing down the highway at 65. the pete i drive would have certainly burned more fuel in the same millage bobtail

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Really pretty simple,the more your trucks in the shop the more money they make.

4. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    Congrats on the new rig. Welcome to the club. *hands EZ a cold drink*.

5. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I think what your friend meant was you could get intrastate authority and plates in MT and ND, rather than IRP. I think that's true, that would be easier and probably cheaper. you may still have to file IFTA, you'd just have to check with MT and ND. Keep in mind you will have authority to haul within either MT or ND, but not from one to the other that way. your IFTA would be pretty easy really if you have to do it. I mean you would have to record fuel purchases and miles, but just for two states is alot easier than 48. As far as residence, I can't say for MT but I got intrastate authority in TX with no hassle and all I had was a PO Box.

6. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I did a little checking because I was curious about your question. The IFTA manual says that a carrier engaged in "interstate" commerce in at least one other jurisdiction must register with IFTA. However, no mention of a carrier who is engaged in intrastate commerce in another jurisdiction. I think perhaps your friend was right and you can probably save a lot of time and hassle just getting the two intrastate authority's and in-state plates. But I would definitely check with both states to be sure.

7. rsconsulting

rsconsulting Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    INTRASTATE is for cargo whose origination and destination is in the same jurisdiction.

For example: DOT considers a load that you're under, that's destined for another jurisdiction, to be INTERSTATE - even if YOU aren't actually carrying it across a jurisdictional boundary. Which is why, under the new rules requiring you to have your DOT Med card on file with you licensed states DMV, and you carry loads that are going to leave the jurisdiction - you are required to "self-declare" INTERSTATE NON-EXEMPT.

If you are crossing a jurisdictional boundary, and BURNING FUEL in a jurisdiction OTHER THAN where you purchased your fuel - and your vehicle, by IFTA rules (axles/weights/etc.) is one that is subject to IFTA - you are REQUIRED to file IFTA and have an IFTA permit/sticker.

For an O/O, from a record keeping standpoint - it's not a big deal (I guess). Montana's fuel tax this quarter is: .2775, ND's is .2300. So if the OP runs MOST of his miles in MT, but purchases his fuel in in ND - he may have an IFTA liability ($$ owed) each quarter.

In further research on IRP tags - it may actually be LESS EXPENSIVE to only register for MT & ND, even on an "initial issue tag" with estimated milage - than a 48 state IRP. ND tags are "priced" according to weight (like everyone else's) and AGE OF TRUCK - with a truck eight years or older, 80K Lbs, being about $200 cheaper than a newer truck.

OTOH - if the difference of $400-$600 in tag fees is going to MAKE OR BREAK anyone who owns a truck - then there are larger issues in capitalization that need to be addressed...

Rick

8. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I wouldn't even bother with cosmetics with all that crap you guys put on the roads up there in the winter and all the gravel roads, it's just going to eat all the paint up anyways. Besides, it's the 1st truck so just keep the mechanicals in tip-top shape and start earning a profit. Your second or third truck can be pretty down the road.

9. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    Rick,

I think what he's talking about is getting a non-IRP plate for ND and a non-IRP plate for MT as well.

Yes, if you cross state boandaries hauling INTERSTATE shipments you must have IRP plates and IFTA. However, I'm not so sure if he hauls INTRASTATE loads in MT and INTRASTATE loads in ND if he must. I know you can get INTRASTATE authority in more than one state because I have it in 2 myself. I had IL and then I got TX. So was I able to get TX authority just because I already had interstate authority ? Or can someone with just intrastate authority in ND add intrastate authority in MT ? Can you get a non IRP plate for both states ? I don't know for sure, like I said you'll have to check with the states. I really don't see why you couldn't, the wording I keep running across specifies INTERSTATE commerce. If you are strictly hauling INTRASTATE loads in two different jurisdictions this might be possible.

10. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    We are talking about being very complicated to save a couple hundred and limiting yourself from potential income. How many times in a year do you think you can get a load going from one state to the other? If it is once it will likely pay the difference between the IRP and two separate state plates (if the non-resident state will even allow it).

I think we have gotten to the point of not being able to see the forest because of the trees.

SHC and rsconsulting Thank this.
  11. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Now don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with prepping up the interior a little. You practically live in there so you want that to be as clean as possible. A new driver's seat and a new steering wheel and gear shift knob are justifiable expenses. Other things like new rubber floor, replacing anything that is cracked or broken on the dash are also good improvements. In the sleeper make sure everything works like it is supposed to and if anything is cracked or broken or really looks terrible go ahead and replace it. That stuff is not very expensive anyway and because it is on the inside of the truck you can keep it looking good. The interior is far more important than the exterior. Other than that the engine and drive train is the only thing that matters on any truck you can point your finger at. That is why I will never ever buy a new truck and will always buy old trucks that just need a little TLC. Personally I would rather buy an old worn out truck and put a new engine and drive train in it as opposed to buying a newer truck with 300K miles on it. At least with the old truck you know for sure what you have because you put the new engine in it and cosmetics never ever made anyone a penny.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.