Series 60 help!

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by kmils0909, Jun 2, 2023.

1. kmils0909

kmils0909 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2022
    Hey guys, so Im pulling my hair out over a unit I just cant figure out why its so lazy down low on power.

2016 Western Star 4900 Glider
    12.7 series 60
    6067BK60
    06RE159658

This truck has all of a sudden become a dog with low end power.
    All the basics have been addressed and or checked.
    -Over head ran, some stuff was slightly out, nothing overly concerning
    -Found a broken exhaust valve spring on #3, replaced. This actually woke the truck up a little.
    -Has a new fuel pump
    -Newer K31 turbo, feels fine and looks fine from a visual
    -Fuel filter new
    -No exhaust or boost leaks
    -Check valve on the back of the head was replaced. (leaking by creating a rough start)

At a loss with this thing. Everything checks out. Makes no sense to me.
    Any insight is greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MRMTRANS

MRMTRANS Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Charge air cooler leaking-or hose(s) on the air intake lines themselves. Fuel restriction from a collapsing hose. Those are what I would start with.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Air filter?

Believe it or not back when I was fresh and green my "journeyman" threw a ton of parts at the shop truck (Dodge with a 5.9L Cummins) because it was a gutless wonder that pretty much just converted 1202 to black smoke and nothing else. Guy was ready to order a new injection pump. I happened to check the air filter and found it was so plugged it had collapsed and sucked itself into the intake pipe.

bzinger, Flint1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You said basics but mention no basics.

As mentioned. Air filter.

I've had 3 trucks go into the shop for no power. All 3 trucks required turbo boost sensors.

Does the truck have a boost gauge you can see what the turbo is doing?

Was the turbo new or reman?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Inderjit

Inderjit Medium Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    I had a series 60 come into the shop with a new turbo a new charge air cooler and new red silicone intake couplers. The complaint was no boost. There is a steel tube that connects the intake manifold with the compressor intake that has two short rubber hoses one on each end. The one on the manifold end had ruptured on the side facing the head. I have seen a few of those small hoses fail always on the side facing the head.

gekko1323, Rideandrepair and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Some symptoms usually help diagnosis. Fuel consumtion, smoke, whistle, boost psi?

gekko1323 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    i put a k31 turbo on my detroit felt like a turd went back to a171702

9. kmils0909

kmils0909 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2022
    Sorry for the late response guys, Its been crazy busy.
    I ended up finding a broken exhaust valve spring on #3 when I pulled the jakes for an overhead. Super simple fix. Still learning these older motors.

I appreciate the advice for all of you.

10. StarGazer1FL

StarGazer1FL Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2023
    Greetings to All - This is going on ,on this Wednesday July 16 i was on my way to phoenix 13 Miles east of Circle Bar Fuel America Travel Center …

Kept the fan Running for minutes taking precautions from letting it overheat …

As i joined a Prayer ,meeting i got distracted and next thing i knew as i look in the Driver mirror I realized smoke coming out of the bottom of the car Hauler Trailer .

I thought it might of Ben 3 spare Tires i tighten to the sleeper Deck of the 9 Car Hauler …

It’s a 2007 WESTERN STAR 4900 - Engine 60 Series Detroit .

Next i realized i need to pull over to the Shoulder …
    As i Finally pulled over the truck started to act as if it was going to Die so i switch off engine

Even before i realized the Coolant Temp , I took a quick survey around the Trailer for Tire Issues and Found None .
    Temp was up to 225F …
    NEXT I found my Brothers Instructions to

Step #1 check engine oil Stick for water Signs and found >NONE <
    STEP #2 Checked for Coolant Fluid - Result > Dry <
    So i Realized the Hose which Blows Steam from underneath the Engine was leaking oil slightly …
    And also Noticed the Sound of Engine Sounded with a Knocking Noise and more shaky then previously .

Next was the Attempt to Scape the Shoulder and make to 13 Miles west to the i eventually made to arrive .
    At the First Attempt the Truck acted weird and Smoke a bunch so i got Freaked out and Switched the engine off
    At the Second Attempt i let the truck cool to no even as much as the first attempt in which i had it at 176 F
    But this time at 185F
    Cracked it up and Slowly moved off Shoulder kept at speed of 15 for first 2 Min then Gradually increased speed and i made up the Hill and Then Started to Speed up Gradually after running on 30 for another 5 Min or so … and from that point the Truck made to 13 Miles west to the TRAVEL CENTER where its parked for a Scan on Thursday July 17 2023 .

I decided to write this in case same Scenario occurs to anyone …
    And also to request Suggestions ‍

As i barely log on to this acc , anyone who have any Knowledge to share please Contact me at > REMOVED BY STAFF < Appreciate much …

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2023
    Reason for edit: Phone number
  11. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    What is a "whistle" a sympton of? Mine whistles "Dixie" on occasion.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.