Share what you know about dealing with brokers

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by 6wheeler, Nov 24, 2011.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have had very good service from my HP all in one printers. I have a 2400 at home and a 5600 in the truck that I usually drive. The main difference is that the 5600 has an automatic feeder. I believe that I paid around $150 or less for each of them at the time. One listed for $300, but I caught it on sale.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    To add to this discussion.

Most of my drivers all use laptops with Drivers Daily Log, have Verizon mifi (the mobile hot spot), wifi all-in-one printer (all using brother now because of smaller foot print). This set-up is a must for being on the road.

Regarding fax service. There are still some out there that do not have documents scanned to email so you have to receive fax. Service is cheap.

Those looking for a cheap wifi printer. Tiger Direct has an HP (refurbished) they are selling for $40.

Also, make sure you have extra ink in the truck (buy the off refills online for 1/3 price of office stores). Many of the printers won't print if one color is out.

4. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    get a laser printer. Toner is cheaper in the long run and the inks won't run....;)

5. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Biggest issue with Laser in truck in the amount of power they draw. My brother laser drew more power than my microwave. Microwave was fine on my inverter but printer would pop the breaker.

Also is footprint. They are much bigger than ink jet.

Issues with ink jet is the ink will freeze. So if you are doing logs (absolute best tool for any truck driver is doing logs on computer) you need to plan for those cold mornings that you didn't idle all night.

VisionLogistics Thanks this.
  6. kw600

kw600 Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    everywhere,usa
    So is the Brother brand the one to go with when it comes to printers and such for the truck?

7. 1958Pete

1958Pete Light Load Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Jonesville, Louisiana
    My Brother 4-n-1 (fax, scanner, copier, printer) was a good buy. It was $99. at Office Depot. I been using Brother priter cartridges, so they're probably more expensive than an aftermarket brand cartridge. It's been dependable unit and it's very user friendly.

8. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    I stay clear of brokers...they skin ya.:biggrin_25516:

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I think there's more money in spot at times when the market is right. Nice to have contract to fall back on when there's too much capacity in spot. That's what my gut tells me after 6 months, I could learn differently.

BigBadBill Thanks this.
  10. TheRoadWarrior

TheRoadWarrior rocking-n-rollin again

Dec 6, 2011
    South West
    Rollin your right there....some areas have great paying rates at a certin time then junk...using multi brokers is good as if your in a bad area at least you can get a load out of there to a better location where the loads are paying better....

BigBadBill and rollin coal Thank this.
  11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have used HP for years. They are very durable. I don't recall every having a problem with them. I probably doesn't make much difference in the type of printer/fax/scanner/copier you purchase. They all do the same thing. Brother has had a good reputation. I have owned Brother printers and computers in the past and all have performed well. Since I have had such good service from HP I will probably replace what I have with new HP printers when the time comes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.