Sharing Mississippi water with California would help feed America

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Haven't read or heard of any defects in the 3 Gorges Dam.
    Politicians in the West would love to see problems with it. No Western country can afford to build something like that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    An aqueduct running from the lower Mississippi to the Colorado River (via the San Juan River tributary, at Farmington, New Mexico), with the same capacity as the California Aqueduct, would roughly double the flow of the latter while taking merely 1-3% of the former’s flow.

4. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    More than a cost issue, I see this as a political issue. Changing water compacts would be akin to changing one of the federations amendments. I don't think it would be as simple as allocating the additional flow to California, because it goes through other states to get there. Other states that need more. Cooperation is no longer one of our strongpoints as a nation. Just take a look at roundhouses comment above for an example.

5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Farmington NM, to the Mississippi River depending on exactly where, is quite an elevation change. My guess would be a fair number of pumping stations would be required. As this would be a government public works project, the costs would be astronomical. We don’t have slave labor here, unlike China.
    I’ve read several articles over the last few years warning about the fragility of 3 Gorges.

6. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Three and a half years it shall not rain upon the earth. This is prophecied to happen when the earth is so spiritually perverse that the depraved world will receive the Antichrist.

And it is self inflicted depravation.

The woke world has no defense against God's judgement. Reap what is sown.

We are just seeing the foretaste of what is to come.

Laodicean quagmires.

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I wouldn’t count on the highest welfare State in the country to pay for much. The idea that the people of Mississippi would foot the bill is funny. I don’t think that’s what anyone’s suggesting. I’m in Mississippi right now. Not exactly the land of opportunity, their whole annual budget is probably less than L.A. county’s. Mississippi is so poor, they can’t even support themselves. Today I saw a Dog Standing on a corner holding a sign up that read “Will hunt for fude” Not the best speller that dog. I doubt that dog will ever hunt. No doubt a product of the Public School system. It’s so bad half the population can’t spell the States name. They pronouce it Mippissippi. I’m near Greenville right now. The city’s so poor, the only Pool hall in town has 3 tables, but only 1 stick. Takes forever to play a game, waiting your turn for a stick. Even Uncle Ben left Town it’s such a depressed area. Moved to California or Az. maybe Nevada. Lots of speculation. He just one day disappeared. Maybe ran off with Aunt Jemima. Didn’t want his good name associated with the State anymore. Mississippi won’t be of much help to California, Besides they only control half of the River that carries their namesake.

Numb, JoeyJunk, Val_Caldera and 2 others Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    And what a great joke that was.

JoeyJunk, Val_Caldera and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Im not arguing against using china as a model because it runs large "public works" projects, my objection is that there are consequences to the actions of big centralized planning that are sometimes easily forseeable and sometimes more hidden. (See mao's famine, he didnt starve china so much as create the conditions that it would be inevitable, you dont even have to attribute the famine to malice, just stupidity. You cant tell everyone to stop growing food in favor of rubber trees and then expect that to work out fine 10 years later)

RockinChair Thanks this.
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Playing devils advocate, i would say that pasturage and hay crops simply require ridiculous amounts of acreage for their output, that has to play into the calculation somewhere.

If it takes 500 acres of alfalfa to put 1 unit of food on the table but a 1 acre plot of almonds produces the same 1 unit, the almonds could literally use 2450 acre feet of water per acre and be just as productive.

loudtom and nredfor88 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.