Sharing Mississippi water with California would help feed America

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Jun 28, 2022.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

I think it was more of a earth rotational issue, don’t remember the article but back when it was being built there was a few scientific articles saying it could cause an issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    People that pay attention and have an inquisitive mind, know all that's coming to a screeching halt. Like someone chain smoking cigarettes and in denial about having Emphysema.

Northern Nomad Thanks this.
  4. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Then why housing so expensive then?
    No one paya any attention till bad thing will happens.
    Look on Michigan surrounded by fresh water, and have plenty of things to grow, yet I don't see here any big investments

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, Earth rotation can put stress on the platonic plates causing movement.
    Newton's Third Law.

Northern Nomad Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Just a side note...an acre foot of fresh water is 325,851 gallons. Kind of helps put water usage into perspective, no?

RockinChair Thanks this.
  7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Laziness on math has me approximate it as 325k but yep,

Put another way, californias water usage alone per year in acre feet of 50 mill means roughlyish a column of water 1 football field for x,y then 9,469 MILES tall, enough to go 1/5th the distance around the world

REO6205 Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's a great mental image but I just want enough to grow my rice, my almonds, and have a little left over for the cows to drink. ;)

Also, if you were paying for your water by the acre foot like I am, you wouldn't be "approximating". You'd want, expect, and be willing to pay for, every last drop.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  9. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Approximating for ballparking very large numbers is one thing, its not like im estimating for bidding the job and off by 851 gallons isnt nothing, but its not like im off by orders of magnitude, im off by 0.26%

10. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    No problem. I was just pointing out that some people can't get away with "close enough". Good on ya if you don't have to do that.

11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I can assure you, Reclamation did pretty much everything in its power to raise the alarm. NO ONE listened. Without anyone listening, can't get funding to do much. That said, a few projects were implemented to help soften this problem. Part of the All American Canal was concrete lined to eliminate significant seepage into the ground. A reservoir, named Warren H. Brock reservoir was built to allow more efficient use of water releases from Hoover and Parker dam that lessened the amount of water that ended up getting wasted in the system. Also, it's complicated to explain, but a series of pipelines were installed to allow more usable groundwater to released into the system and remove higher salinity water to be removed from the system. Also, the Yuma Desalting plant underwent several test and trail events to explore ways to make it financially feasible to bring the desalting plant on line. There are quite a few others that have been implemented and explored. Most have helped, but, the bottom line is that water usage has exceeded water recharge by a significant amount for too many years. This water is used by some pretty politically powerful entities and have made it difficult to impossible to cut back on usage by fiat. There are many numerous treaties, pacts and legal decisions that dictate who gets water, how much and when. Until the reservoir water levels got down to these critical levels, Reclamation was unable to declare the legally needed water cutbacks until these low levels happened.
    I can go on. I worked there for over 20 years and as a map maker was aware of much of the moving parts regarding this, as everyone always needs maps showing a multitude of aspects of this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.