Sharkey Transportation, Inc. - Quincy, IL.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by themlilboots, Nov 26, 2006.

1. antnmad

antnmad Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Walton,KY.
    I worked for them for 2.5 yrs and this is only my opinion. They are not a good company to work for!!! That $1000 a week crap is only if you run what they want you to and if you are late BY 1 min to del you will lose it you leave 1 min late after your 34hr you will lose it. They dont have the miles they state on thier website and you refuse to do a load even if its cuz you dont have hrs or a medical reason, you can be sure that thier ops mgr Red will be giving you a call to tell you to get moving and if you dont you wont like what they will do. I had to go home to get my BP meds and told them so and even told them I would pay the mileage to to so and they told me if I went home they would consider it voluntarily resigning and I had already been without it for 3 days and needed it. The $1000 thing YOU WILL run until you get at least 2700 miles even if they dont have the freight you will run till they do. The people who will make your life miserible are Jack Sharkey, Bill Russell, and Red McGlophlin. You wont get your 1st pay for 3 weeks cuz they hold back 2 weeks so they can screw you in the end if you quit no matter the reason you will not see your last 2 checks. In my Opinion they are a messed up company and I would think real hard before signing on to work for them....

Dr Demented and mudman1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DubT

DubT Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Kalamazoo, Mi.
    Thanks for that info. Antnmad. I have recently been searching again and they called me back, forgetting that they turned me down before for what reason I didn't know. This time I found out it was becasue they said I didn't have enough years OTR. I've been driving for seven years! I was insulted so I just said whatever and it made me feel like they just wanted to get some knucklehead behind the wheel that they can dupe. I'm glad now that that aint gonna be me.

4. antnmad

antnmad Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Walton,KY.
    The problem there is you have to much experience for them. They hired me and atthe time I only had 2yrs so go figure that one out. When i went home to get my bp meds they told me not to touch the truck and clean it out if i drove it to bring it back to them they would have me arrested. Then they put a abandon truck and a accident I didnt have on my DAC so you can imagine how hard it has been for me to find another job and still havent.

5. Dr Demented

Dr Demented Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Delphi, IN
    Yeah, Sharkey is a BAD company. I thought I wrote a report on them for the forums here but at the moment I'm too lazy to look. It was around 2005. A friend of mine who owned a trucking company trained me and I had 1 year in at the time. He went belly up so I went looking for another company.

These people make you jump through hoops during the app process...no big deal. They'll tell you how great everything is and tell you to come down to Quincy, IL for orientation. My wife drove me all the way down there on the last bit of money we could scrounge up because they told me they did all the checks and I was "hired". So, I get there for their orientation...they put me up in a ####roach motel for the week. Every day more people kept leaving because of one problem or another. I passed the physical, the road test and was getting assigned my new truck when one of their people said that I was being sent home because I forgot to put a job I had working as a grill cook on the application. They called it "falsifying" my app even though it wasn't driving related and was several years back while I was working a lot of odd & end jobs.

They sent me home...didn't pay for the Greyhound even though they promised on the first day of orientation that they would if I didn't pass all their crazy tests. I ended up having to call my parents to loan me the money because my wife and I used the last getting to Quincy. The recruiter said I would be reimbursed...but of course, never was and they stopped taking my calls.

Do I have something against them? You bet I do. To add insult to injury they reported me on DAC as being fired for falsifying my application even though I was technically never even hired.

Now, 4 years later, I still hate them and I always feel sorry for the poor schlubs who I see driving their ugly trucks.

DubT Thanks this.
  6. antnmad

antnmad Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Walton,KY.
    A good friend of mine quit them to go local in Iowa and they put an abandon truck on his DAC and totally refused to take it off. Even though he returned the truck in good condition and they signed off that he did so. Add to that they took both his last 2 pay checks that were over 1500.00 bucks and they say its for damage done to the truck even though they signed that it was in good condition. What they did as far as we can figure is they took pics of another truck and said it was his. This company should be shut done for good!!!!

7. DubT

DubT Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Kalamazoo, Mi.
    Man I'm glad I heard these things. I'll definately steer clear and spread the word! I believe all you say. I've heard these things before and from how they treated me, that alone made me suspicious of them, but now this confirms it all.

8. antnmad

antnmad Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Walton,KY.
    I am glad I could help. I just wish that other companies would stop taking everything that is put on DAC reports by your former employer as always the truth. They need to take both sides of a situation and base thier decision on what they think is right by hearing both sides instead of just the companies side.

9. Crazyeyes

Crazyeyes Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Bufu, Illinois
    Wow, 3 pages of nothing but good things said about the company. Then all of the sudden it heads south. Im left confused.

Just getting around my 6 months experience OTR, have recently applied with Sharkey and have generated interest from the recruiting deptartment. Im from Illinois and as far as the freight lanes, everything on their website sounds great as in comparision to where I live. Im not here to be guaranteed home every week. I dont mind what they call the 15/3-15/4 program. Sounds beneficial to me as well as the company. Not too worried about the mileage or guaranteed money either. If it turns out to be somewhere closer to their guarantee than closer to what Im making now for being out 8-12 weeks, that sounds spectacular! Oh yea, company paid family medical. Can't beat that either.

So where's some clarification on the company? Beofre I dive into the recruiting process and waste my time and someone else's over there. Anyone have some recent info or experience with them? I would greatly appreciate it! Thx in advance

10. Mr Nasty

Mr Nasty Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Walkerton In.
    Their recruiter called me this morning he made no mention of guarenteed pay but promised a 1000 dollar sign on bonus. that's a big red flag any company that offers sign on money should be avoided by the way I didn't even apply with them must be a random cdl search like JB does

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.