Shifted/Damaged/Rejected Loads: What do you do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by will7370, Aug 8, 2009.

1. will7370

will7370 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    I have a number of questions regarding the process that occurs when you have shifted, damaged or rejected loads:

(a) What happens when you have a load shift in transit that cannot be unloaded without damaging it all to hell?

(b) What happens when a receiver rejects a load (for whatever reason)? What are you supposed to do with it? Especially if you've hauled it half way across the US?

(c) What happens if your first delivery has become shifted/damaged FUBAR, and the receiver rejects it, but you still have one or more loads behind it for other places that still need to be delivered?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CURTWAYNE

CURTWAYNE Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    If a receiver rejects your load, call dispatch and tell them. They will advise you what to do.
    The only load I ever had problems with, was a load of assorted pet food. Delivering to a small grocery distribution warehouse in El Paso, Tx. They refused some items because of a small hole in a bag, or a torn piece of cardboard on a case. My company told me to toss it in the nearest dumpster.
    But, I didn't see the need in it. I got some tape, covered the holes in the bags, and gave to my friends that had pets.
    But, it depends on your company policy. They will direct you on how to handle the situation.

4. simplyred1962

simplyred1962 Betty Boop, One Bodacious Babe!!!

We have had a load or two rejected, because it had shifted, and a box got damaged.
    We just called dispatch, and they directed us to either throw it away, or find a local food bank that would be willing to come get it.
    Our experience is that the food banks/homeless shelters are always more than happy to come get it. (But these weren't the entire load rejected, just a pallet, or large box of produce, and once a box of beef.)

Judi Kay

5. CURTWAYNE

CURTWAYNE Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    Back in the day, I worked in a grocery store. At that time, if a bag of pet food was damaged, we poured the food in the dumpster, and sent the empty bag to a center that organized credit to stores for non sellable items.
    The girl I was seeing at the time would help at animal shelters and take in lost animals. Because of her caring for these animals, I asked for permission to take the food we would normally throw out, and take it to the animal shelters. They were so happy to see me bring in this food.
    That is a really good thing to do.

6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I never had to do this myself, but the first refer company that I worked for, would occasionally have a load of meat rejected. Their answer to it, was "stop beside the highway, make up signs, and sell it for whatever you can get for it."

I have serious doubts that this would fly in today's world though. And think about it, if the consignee refused it, WHY did he refuse it, and would you want to buy it and eat it yourself?????? (shudder):biggrin_2552:

Oh, wait a minute, it's for that Chinese Food joint down the street. NOW, I understand!:yes2557:

7. simplyred1962

Naw, that's not what happened with that big box of beef. They were fresh-killed (we had to wait a day and a half for that load).in one box, there was a little blood, so that box was rejected.

We broke out the BBQ grill, but donated the rest of the box to a nearby homeless shelter. There was nothing wrong with the meat, the receiver just didn't want it because of the blood. (gee, blood in a box of fresh-killed beef, imagine that...)

Judi Kay

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Yeah, I was not talking about one or two cases being rejected, but the entire truck load. Now wouldn't that be fun, to be beside the road trying to peddle a truck load of meat to the general public who happened to be driving by...

simplyred1962 Thanks this.
  9. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    Alot of times the claims dept. (if there is one) will tell you to just toss the product. Or they might have you drop it off at a local terminal or...they might have you take it to an LTL outfit to send back to the shipper. At one of my previous employers, alot of times we were told to take it back to the terminal and throw in the dumpster, which usually meant to throw in the trunk of our car. No sense throwing away 60 rolls of toilet paper if only the bottom 12 in the case was ruined. We used to get alot of free stuff but those days are gone.

10. simplyred1962

Ummm, not really, are those days "gone". Depends upon the company, even these days.

Judi Kay

11. rockee

rockee Road Train Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pacific Northwest
    I should have said "those days are gone, for me"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.