Shifting 13's: It's All In The STYLE

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Hick, Jan 19, 2018.

1. SouthernNortherner

SouthernNortherner Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Ohio
    Thought i was about to learn something...:mad:
    Ole Channing Tatum pimpstick shifter lookin boy:D
    Must double as dating app video

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I did- I Never stopped wearing them - Since the 1970's when I was a kid. The 80's everyome had them- Then the Gay looking oval half looking garbage came out in the 90's.

The ones I had in the 70's were Light on the Bottom and became darker towards the top.

Then I grew a Thick Mustache Looked like Roger Earl from '77.

tucker Thanks this.
  4. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    For the same reason it's against the law is all

5. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    The title of the video is " shifting a 13 a different way".

But yet no one has answered what the different way is. I noticed it right away.

Watch closely to his gear selection pattern and the way he splits his gears.
    I found that splitting the gears the way he does(actually taking it out of gear and right back in the same hole), on this old,old super 10, actually helps making sure the split gear is fully engaged.

And I wouldn't recommend using low on the high side like he does. Just because it fits doesn't mean you should use it.

Lepton1, rank and okiedokie Thank this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Looking badaz in your ride is nothing special, maybe in your own mind. What seperates a driver from a poser is the ability to adapt to unfirmilar tasks and situations. Build a strong foundation of skills while not taking the easy way. The real test is being out of their comfort zone and he/she stays focused and calm. That's a badaz driver. Being a truck boss you ride with all kinds.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I have the Bluetooth that has the plugs you put in your ears. I'm still not sure about the having both ears covered thing, because the 3 years I drove a mixer, when you got out of your pick up at the yard, you put in your ear plugs, and didn't take them out until you were ready to get back in said pick up at the end of the day.

And if you didn't, you'd be deaf as a post.

I have no problem hearing a wailing siren with my ears covered. I've driven through countless scales that way, so I'm not sure it's illegal.

rank Thanks this.
  8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    It’s just the way I was taught. When I was 16 I had a Walkman with those old headphones. Father told me if he ever saw me wearing those things while I was driving he’d take the keys away. He said the same thing about my sunglasses with the leather side shields. “You can’t see or hear anything with that crap on your head. You need to keep your wits about you”

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    That's another one. I had to wear side shields at all times, and they were supposed to be clear, or they were called clear, but they were opaque. Not that it matters, because anyone that needs glasses to drive, if your using your peripheral vision, and your not looking through your lenses, it's blurry anyway.

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Blurry or not you can pick up movement

11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Not really. Not until it's so close you couldn't do anything but maybe say " S-------" lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.