shifting uphill empty

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by stylicho, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA

Had that happen to me the other night starting up Cummings Skyway in Crockett, CA with a load of hot molasses. That stuff is slow, but when it hits, it hits hard. Went to go from 3d to 4th and stopped dead the instant I broke torque. Was just out of an intersection with a car right up my ### when it happend. Running these things gets #### difficult when you're tired.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    My suggestion would be to:
    a) learn to float the gears both up and down, and
    b) learn to listen to your engine.

The sound of your engine will tell you when to take her out of gear, and when to grab the next one. It's not a timing issue, since alot of factors affect road speed vs. RPMs, like weight of the load, grade of the road, speed of the truck going into the shift, etc, etc. The first standard shift vehicle I ever drove regularly didn't have a tach, so I learned early about listening to my engine. I actually had trouble learning how to look at my tach when I was in school to learn how to drive. My instructor had no problem with when I was shifting, he just couldn't understand WHY I was shifting when I was since I naturally picked up "progressive shifting", and he taught "Run it up to 1500 and shift." I just told him "The truck tells me when to shift."

Floating the gears (correctly) will give you a faster shifting time, especially going uphill light or empty. Practice, practice.

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Another thing you can do is start out in a higher gear, if empty, without burning the clutch, of course. Other than that, you might have to not shift until you get on level road.

5. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    You tap the clutch brake when the transmission is being shifted through neutral. It is out of gear. You are not trying to stop the truck with the clutch brake, only the input shaft. When I owned a truck, it did not have an engine brake. The only way I could upshift with an empty trailer on an upgrade was to use the clutch brake. I put nearly a million miles on that tractor.

dollylama Thanks this.
  6. mrsemi05

mrsemi05 Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Andover, MN
    dude you never wanna stop the imput shaft i have never drivin on the road in a semi and i know that. cause as soon as you let go of the pedel it spins right back up there you want to match the engine output to the spinning of the tranny output thats why semis Double clutch and that is why its so much easier to shift with out a clutch

7. Lil'Joe

Lil'Joe Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Sugar Hill, GA
    My trainer (early '90s) was at the wheel when this came up on a hill in Chattanooga, and he told to "not pay attention to what he was doing." So, I paid attention. He used the Jake Brake in 1st stage and quick-floated to change gears. Worked like a charm and a lesson I never forgot!

8. 9 Axle

9 Axle Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Purdon, Texas
    Jeeze guys!!!!! The clutch brake is ment to stop the input shaft at a dead stop so you can ingage a gear without sounding like you're trying to grind the teeth off the sprags!!!!!!!! Starting on a hill, loaded or empty, pick a gear & stay with it 'til you get to where momentum will allow you to "catch" another one without stopping!!!!! This is NOT brain surgery!!!!!!!!! JMO

9. Randall

Randall Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Grafton Wv
    HMMM...If what ur saying is true lol Matching road speed with engine rpm's is not needed (Wouldnt be any diff. than shifting ur car) NEWS FLASH TO EVERY TRUCK DRIVER IN AMERICA AND ACROSS THE WORLD!!!!!
    LOL, just shove your clutch to the floor, and shift right into gear.

10. Randall

Randall Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Grafton Wv
    Read, then reread....He isnt talking about using the clutch brake from the start. He is saying use it between shifting gears while your moving up the road.

11. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    uhm, you're not supposed to shift with an engine brake either. I never shift with an engine brake. I tried it a few times but it makes you look like a moron.

Funny how i dont use an engine brake or clutch brake to shift.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.