Shipper asking for a copy of your license?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Mad dog logistics llc, Feb 10, 2014.

1. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Very common, I hope they make my identity better, if they think they are getting any type of credit, they will be making it better! I think it is one of those things to come! We will be telling everyone everything! So there ya go.

snowwy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Any HazMat I pull I have to show my DL and normally they copy it. Could care less I don't have my address on it anyways just a mailbox store.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  4. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    You need to show it at any decent auto auction to pick up a vehicle, too many vehicles were getting stolen.

5. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    When pulling a load for FedEx it is good practice. They want to know whom the subcontractor is if the load is late.

6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    This goes to the root of the question of the expectation of privacy we have as drivers or owner operators in this industry. Like has been mentioned above, go ahead and take a picture of my CDL, you are not going to get any more information than can be obtained from routine searches on the internet. Pay a few bucks to a couple of higher level databases and you will find out there is nothing private. Don't like it, just reality.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    mine don't have my address, it has a po box. it also don't have my SS.

considering the amount of loads getting stolen these days. if shipper wants to copy. so be it.

no one has anyone to blame but the crooks.

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    What's a drivers license? Not only is it a credential to say you are certified to drive it's a gov't issued form of identification. I don't see what the big deal is. It's not like a scammer sets up shop in a shipping office. They don't have your SSN which is the pertinent info. Your address is redundant as if they are going to stalk you? Without a SSN or CC# your address is useless. I know at one time my state had my SSN on it but they stopped that. If you live in a state that does if any still do then I would be leery. But anyone can write down your info just as easy without you knowing it.

Certain people have a right to see and even record your ID info. I don't think a guard shack or shipping office is outside the normal protocol of self security. They are releasing thousands of dollars in your care. It's a mutual trust. They just want to make sure you are who you say you are. Having to record the info is in case the load disappears.

It hasn't been long ago someone posted a story of a theft ring was getting pickup numbers and stealing loads that way. I forget the story. It's on here somewhere. Having someone's ID on file would stop something like that. That's probably why that company implemented that as they probably have been ripped off before.

Lepton1 and jimo Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Yes, I've had this a few times as a trucker. I also routinely photographed shipments when I was a shipper, or had them photographed. Not only was it to protect ourselves as a shipper to show that the freight was in good shape on departure, in some cases it was to document packaging or palletizing experiments to see what worked best for protecting the load.

This is the reason why we are being asked for ID from certain shippers and receivers. It's part of the modern shipping landscape. Get used to it.

That's a good idea. The TWIC card doesn't have as much personal information on it.

jimo Thanks this.
  10. Mountain Hummingbird

Mountain Hummingbird Medium Load Member

Oct 14, 2012
    One way crooks steal is by posing as a driver picking up a load the drivers licence check is one way shippers and trucking companies can save having freight stolen. It is very common when picking up high value goods

11. Drachen

Drachen Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Indiana
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.