Shippers choice in virginia is a rip off!!!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Boyjr87, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Boyjr87

Boyjr87 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Rocky Mount NC
    They tell you all you need to do is make a 400 hundred dollar down payment and that's all.. But your first day of class they send you in the office and say your down payment was 500 so you have to pay an extra 100 dollars.. Very unprofessional school and they do not teach you how to back up, and that is what you have to pass at the dmv to get your cdl.. You have to pay all this money and you will be stuck with a crowd of people that do not know what is going on.. They don't care if you get your cdl or a job they just want your money.. So do not go to shippers choice they have 3 in the state of virginia but the training sucks, the instructors never did a full pretrip, never showed us how to back up, they have only one good instructor but he stays busy trainging people how to drive but the other two really don't care about your training they just getting a paycheck to sit on there ### allday, so beware and stay away !!! Plus they have people from previous classes that failed taking up all your time and training.. Basically it's the students training and learning from each other, no help from instructors which is very sad to say!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
    Go-Go Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Well your first clue that the school was not good should have been the price tag. No decent school is going to charge you under a couple grand...

That said, even "good" schools don't prepare you for what you are up against in real life. They merely get you your CDL so you can get your real training with a trucking company. But even then you've got learning to do after the training is over.

So look at it like this. Suppose you spend $1000 to get your CDL because you flunk the first time. That's still cheaper than many "reputable" schools. Then you sign on with a trucking company that will train you supposedly the right way. You come out ahead of the folks that spend 2, 3, 4 and 5 thousand to get the CDL.

4. LostOne9

LostOne9 Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Emerald triangle
    not true I paid 680.00 dollars for my school and I started with a good company with no trainers and did just fine.

5. Boyjr87

Oct 22, 2013
    Rocky Mount NC
    500 was just my down payment , the school is charging me 5 grand for training.. This my first time ever at a trucking school but I thought they suppose to train students how to pretrip and back up, all the safety videos they show us on DOT and safety rules then why not show students how to back up that's all I'm saying..

Go-Go Thanks this.
  6. Boyjr87

Oct 22, 2013
    Rocky Mount NC
    Maybe you had help a long the way but most people don't and never been in a truck ever in there life, so backing can be very difficult for some people, but if you paying a school to train you that's there job to do so.. It shouldn't be students learning from students with no help from the instructors that's only setting your self up for failure!!

7. LostOne9

LostOne9 Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Emerald triangle
    I agree, that is there job, its a school so its supposed to prepare you for the beginnings of trucking if they aren't even teaching you how to back, or the necessary skills to pass the dmv test than that is a bogus school. thanks for the warning.

Boyjr87 Thanks this.
  8. DriftingTruckDriver

DriftingTruckDriver Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Crap...which one did you go to? I am planning on going to the one in Manassas va. There is another one CDS by kings dominion but it it is more money for a longer training....

9. Boyjr87

Oct 22, 2013
    Rocky Mount NC
    I went to the one in NN.. Just be prepared to learn a lot of things on your own.. I don't know how the one your going to trains there students but it's all the same company.. The pre trip and backing are two of the things you want be trained on. They only went over it with us one time, but the driving part is really there biggest goal for new students.. But you have to pass your pretrip first at the dmv to move to your backing and then on the road.. If you decide to go with them I wish you the best of luck but I wouldn't recommend no one to go there.. If you can try to look up other training schools in your area they might cost more but it will be worth it and you will get the training you deserve..

DriftingTruckDriver Thanks this.
  10. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    That's messed up man! I just graduated from the Chester Campus and was very happy with them. All the instructors were good, we did VERY thorough pre trips, we were told at the beginning our pre-trip was far more than DMV was looking for (consulting the DMV manual confirmed that) We did TONS of backing (every day) and we were on the road for a couple hours every day once you had your permit. Our classroom training was also very thorough. Daily tests and homework into getting the FMCSA regs burned into our head. The last two weeks were all range and road. They would work with everybody until they got everything down, when we started getting to the point when we were nailing our exercises every time, they made it harder, it really sucks to see other campuses not keeping up. I'm going to be back their on Tuesday and wed to be their for my class for their road tests (I tested and passed ahead of sched) and will definitely say something, they need to know this stuff.

11. Boyjr87

Oct 22, 2013
    Rocky Mount NC
    So you got your cdl? How hard was the curve backing at the dmv?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.