Short Lived Trucking Career

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zedekiah, Jan 27, 2022.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Avoiding backing is not the prescription for getting better at backing. Backing is a fundamental requirement in trucking. They only way to get better is some more instruction and A LOT of practice.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

DAC and Hire Right is the trucking industry version of credit reports for drivers. The trucking companies that subscribe to DAC / Hire Right can submit information about the drivers they use. That information is usually starting and ending dates, maybe type of trucking, and incidents and accidents. Not every trucking company uses DAC Hire Right. You have a right to get at least one copy of your DAC Hire Right report every year. In some states you can get more than one free report per year. You also have a right to dispute with DAC/Hire Right any negative information in your report. If you dispute the entry and it cannot be verified by the trucking company that supplied that info then the item must be removed. You also have a right to submit a very brief statement to DAC/Hire Right that must be provided to any trucking company that DAC/Hire Right provides info. DAC/Hire Right is covered by the same federal laws as cover the Credit Bureaus.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. MiFamilyGuy

MiFamilyGuy Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I always seem to have the oddball opinion on the dollar store accounts. I was barely out of training when I started running Dollar General loads. Sure, the stores can be challenging to get into but it can be done. I owe my backing and tight maneuvering abilities to 7 years on that account. When I started, I sucked at both. I also trained dozens of students on that account and most of them went on to do just fine on their own. It's just a matter of the trainer taking the time to actually train the student. I left the account to be around home more while my kids were still kids but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that kind of work. One of my old students is still there and he's making well over 2k a week with weekly resets at his house. It just requires some tricky maneuvering and a little exercise.

Rideandrepair, bryan21384 and tscottme Thank this.
  5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I you want to be successful in the biz you will..just need an actual trainer, who will show you all there is to become proficient.

BTW, hope one day you can find that Weiner trainer in person so you may show your gratitude.

Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  6. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    LOL he knows what DAC is

Rideandrepair, bryan21384 and tscottme Thank this.
  7. BlueDuck1883

BlueDuck1883 Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2022

With all of that on your work record now, I can't see why you'd still want to drive a truck. Not stopping before you hit the stop sign is a "WTF" kind of thing. There's not sense in getting into all the "should've done" things. That's in the past. What to do now, is the question. And a tough question at that.
    I would suggest going with a local rock/sand hauling company. Shorter trailers are harder to back. But easier for tight spots.
    If you just want to run states, I'm sure there's plenty of companies that'll put you on as a trainee. Just be sure to tell your trainer that you need guidance with backing.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    You should have never taken that truck out
    On your own.
    You should have told everybody in that office that
    Would listen, that you didn't do any backing
    During training.

Especially doing dollar stores.
    Expierenced drivers won't touch that crap,
    Just for that reason.
    It ain't worth the mention money.

BlueDuck1883 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. MonetaryWage

MonetaryWage Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2022
    I’m not even a trucker yet but bro I would probably treat it like it was a 4 wheeler. What happens when you get into accidents with a 4 wheeler? You take a defensive class to make yourself look better. Find a small CDL school that can give you real time behind the wheel and retrain. That might look good to future employers that you took the initiative to correct “your” mistakes.

Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.