Should I ask for an inspection so brokers will work with me?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Big Road Skateboard, May 8, 2022.

1. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I was curious of that too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    You know, I just realized it's been 11 years since I've been pulled into the back at a scale for an inspection. Even hauling oversize full time I've only been asked to show my permit once and there was no inspection.

Personally, I'd avoid it. Ever since warnings hit you just as bad they just utilize that to give you violations for things that aren't violations knowing you have very little recourse to fight it. My favorite was during a roadside and he told me my lines touch the catwalk if he pushed down on them. Who would guess that something loaded to a spring would move if you exert pressure on it? I asked him if he would be back there pushing down on them while I'm going down the road? At that point you might as well grab the ankles because it's over.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Exactly. Anyone intentionally subjecting themselves to such treatment is a fool. When I was a company driver, my boss had me take one of his wreckers up to the closest scale house because the state ordered him to. The truck was hit for all kinds of piddly things. One that stood out to me in particular was a violation for an oil leak. An oil leak. Unreal.

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Go by a TA or a Petro and pay for annual. Tell the dude you want a legit inspection.

Then do not pass go, and pull into a coup, and tell them what's up, and ask for one.

Those are you're best odds at a clean one.

6. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Perfect advice.
    That'll work fine.

7. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    Don’t have my own numbers, but I have been a driver for 32 years this year and an owner for 20.

8. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    When you've had your own authority for a couple years come back and tell me how great of an idea it is to let your customers run your business for you.

9. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    I’ve probably been in the customer service for almost as long as you’ve been alive. I am a partner with the carrier I’m leased to, their customers are my customers. Not sure what your safety score has to do with people telling you how to run your business, but ok. I just commented that there is a reason that some shippers, receivers and brokers look at saftey scores.

10. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Have a good day, sir.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.