Should I believe what this company is telling me?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nyseto, Jan 14, 2019.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I team drive pulling reefers and expecting to earn 80k my first year driving if my pay holds the next two months. No reason it shouldn't. Was only expecting about 65k but when i sat down and looked at everything getting ready for taxes.. #### a lot more than even that. Lol

Sharing a Truck can be hard but it pays $$$$ if you run hard and take everything they send your way.

Thats not for Swift. But yeah trucking has been good to me so far.

BigKav and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    I am in North Carolina. The cdl school will be through swift

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    I mean, what other companies would be better? Schneider? CR England?

5. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    That sounds fair and reasonable....id say youll probably get an avg of 2500 miles a week though.....its really tough to get over 3000 week after week......especially in your first year at most places.....your mijeage rate is pretty decent .......46cents per mile aint bad first year , amd the raises help.....your longevity will help and really you can only improve your situation .....thats how it tends to work for those drivers who put in a solid, safe performance......on the other hand, it turns south really fast depending on a "poor performance" and I mean this concerning not JUST you the Driver, but bad performances from DUSPATCHERS, FLEET MGRS can easily crash a drivers career as well.......a little luck involved, a lot of skill too....

6. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    pretty much any of those will be very similar....just pick one .....you cant get away from tge first year sting.......its a lot of work, and you WILL be tolerating a ton of B S regardless of where you go......

7. drumchaos

drumchaos Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Nashville, TN
    @Nyseto
    I am starting with RE west here in TN on Feb. 4th. I’m not sure what their starting pay is but they have a flatbed/heavy haul division. Also, no contract/commitment on their CDL training. Only if you don’t stay 6 months, they ask for the sign on bonus and $85 for the physical back. Might want to at least give them a look.
    https://www.rewest.com/

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. TruckerFit

TruckerFit Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2018
    If your friend eventually makes up his mind go team with him it'll be a lot more fun and enjoyable teaming that way.

I ended up teaming with my mentor whom i ended becoming good friends after my training at swift and we ran our azzes off but still managed to go out and have fun on our 34s or if we were early to deliver/pickup

Lots of stripclubs

I was only taking home 800 a week cause i was new but at the time that was a big upgrade from the warehouse work i was doing before so i was happy.

After my friend retired i ended up going local on a dedicated amazon account for 20$ hr straight pay but tons of hrs at swift still.

Was taking home 850-900 a week working almost my 70 but still had my 2 days off. Loved that account easy peezy.

Go to swift man could be great could be awful. Went great for me. By the way i never went thru swift academy i got my license from an outside school and chose to go to swift. Was there 2 yrs before i moved on.

If flatbed dont work out ask to go to a different account/fleet. Your not stuck on flatbed division if you dont like it you can go to a different division all you gotta do is ask/bug your driver manager. Alot of guys jumped around freely when i was there.

Good luck and by the way your never gonna sleep teaming. You'll live tho

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Dont be counting and spending all that money just yet. You still have to do it. Thay easier said than done. Not many make it past 6 months. Heck a good portion dont make it pass 2nd or 3rd day of orientation when the ua comes back.

faux_maestro and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    $37 a week times 13 months x 4 weeks per month is about $2,000, which is half the total $4,000. So the second year they reimburse you for the tuition you have paid. Can you quit after one year, and not owe them anything, or do you still owe them half the 4k because you quit?

11. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    I don’t know if I can quit after a year and not owe. However I know that I won’t quit because if I’m doing solo making 43k, I’d want to do this for 2-3 years to save up even more

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.