Should I buy a cb? If yes how does one setup one?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by aramil248, Nov 9, 2018.

1. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    I have been 50/50 for a while now if I want to get a cb. I can afford one but not sure if it will be of any use to me

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Absolutely! It may be your only way of cussing out a doofus in another truck. Seriously, get one. There's a lot of garbage today, but could prove invaluable in winter, or a crash ahead. You can still turn them off.

JReding, Shaggy, MACK E-6 and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Doofus has no radio and/or does not understand the Kings English.
    OP should still buy a radio, no need to go large. I like my Galaxy 919 mainly because the SWR meter indicates whether I have a decent match or any match at all. I find occasionally having to wiggle the coax to get a proper ground in any of the trucks I end up with as my assigned truck is a Cascadia which usually lands in the shop every week or two for electronic gremlins
    I added a 90 degree coax jack on rear of radio. Saves the main connection as radio is removed daily

Shaggy and 201 Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Buy one, even if you only turn it on during inclement weather.

Woodys, stillwurkin and tscottme Thank this.
  6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    With typical fleet trucks today, it may or may not already have an “integrated cb antenna” and then is real easy to set up. I recommend going to a cb shop and buying a basic Cobra 29 that’s been bench tested. He’ll try and sell you on also getting a custom antenna setup but just say no for the time being.

I would avoid the cheaper <$100 radios. They are just more problematic in the long run.

Numb Thanks this.
  7. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    every truck I have been in always has a empty spot with a bunch of wires that I always guessed was for a cb

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And yes. I think you should have a radio and get in the habit of leaving it on. There’s very little jaw flapping going on anymore. If it gets out of hand turn it off for 15 minutes until it goes away.

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Get you one. In an emergency, if your cell phone isn't working, a cb probably will. It's better than having nothing. Actually had a guy had broke down in a very remote area around here and his phone had no signal. He was able to get me on the cb because I just happened to be in the area.

Shaggy and 201 Thank this.
  10. jt road hammer

jt road hammer Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2018
    yes buy a radio and cb you will use both

11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's not as useful as it used to be, but when you need it, nothing else works better. About 25% of drivers are using a CB radio and most of them leave it off until they are stopped in a massive traffic backup. Then they turn it on ans ask, repeat after me, "hey, which lane do we need to be in?" I typically drive for many hours and seldom hear anyone on the radio unless traffic is blocked.

If you get a newish Freightliner, the only radio I know that fits in the cut-out for a CB is the Uniden Bearcat 880. The good news is there is nothing to setup. You connect antenna cable, connect the power leads, and I recommend an external speaker be connected to the speaker jack, and you are done.

I have a Cobra 29 and a Uniden 66, same radio different brand names. They are slightly too wide to fit in the CB cut-out. The Bearcat 880 typically costs $80 at the truck stops. Sometimes it is advertised as $149 with a $79 discount.

12. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Typically there is a coax cable connection and a red and a black plastic post. Those are where you connect the power cable. Beware, red is positive and black is negative. If you connect them backwards you will need to replace a fuse INSIDE the radio. Don't ask how I know that.

stwik Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.