Should I buy a cb? If yes how does one setup one?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by aramil248, Nov 9, 2018.

1. jt road hammer

jt road hammer Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The post you quoted was satirical. It wasn't meant to be taken in the literal sense except for what it was.

stwik Thanks this.
  4. KeepONTruckin214

KeepONTruckin214 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Why would it not be of any use? Go look at that big pileup in Wyoming of all those dumb truckers slamming into each other. You know what would have prevented that. A cb....

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  5. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    oh and here I thought getting rid of elds prevent that stuff /sarcasm

6. KeepONTruckin214

KeepONTruckin214 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2018
    We’ll get one lol I just hate when people say cb are dumb and they don’t have one, plus some shippers and receivers use the cb as well

7. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Get it. Setup is easy. Screw in the antenna wire. Put the red and black wires on.

Then you gotta check your SWR it’s in the instructions. Very easy it just guides you on trimming your antenna down to the right length.

8. aramil248

aramil248 Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Maine
    So I was going to grab one from this pilot I'm sitting at but unsure what to grab. Was grabbing one from here because I'm currently 4 hours away from a noon tomorrow delivery so might as well do it now

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Anyone with a rainbow chiwawa avatar has what it takes to run a CB and not be offended by trivial comments made on the air.

Grab aa Uniden or President radio. If you get a cobra then you need to shell out for an Astatic or Road King noise canseling mic to sound decent. They have a rubber nub in the wire mesh, that's where you need to place your front lip. You need to "eat" them for anyone to hear you.

aramil248 Thanks this.
  10. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Definitely get one. Keep the volume high enough to hear over your radio. You will hear absolute idiots over it now and again, either change the channel for a little bit or lower the volume. I never wanted one for the longest (like 5 years), then a couple co-workers made me get one. In the last 6 months it's saved me from numerous traffic delays, in which a couple times I was even told exactly what exit and highway to detour, and many drivers will call out where the troopers are hiding at. Which helps me immensely.

Shaggy Thanks this.
  11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    My boss always puts CBs in all of the trucks when he buys them. It's nice to have and I find myself using it from time to time. The other day I had a truck coming onto rt 20. I slowed down gave him room and called him on the CB to let him know that I was leaving the door open. Things like that. Sometimes I'll b.s. with another milk truck. It's just nice to have that communication ability.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.