Should I change the fuel-water seperator when I change the fuel filter?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Oct 23, 2018.

1. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I dont. I carry a spare and change it when it gets close to the change line or the 3rd oil change.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    What gauge are you reading?
    I traced my fuel filter restriction gauge line from the dash and it seemed to terminate at the primary filter housing. I have a 97 379 w/ 550 cat. Because of that I would just change both filters when the restriction gauge would climb a bit, usually between 15 to 20k.

Slowpoke KW Thanks this.
  4. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy Luwi67,

My fuel pressure gauge read 75 psi, the fuel restriction gauge was reading in the red at 7 at idle and would climb to 10 when under a load. After changing out the fuel-water filter my restriction gauge reads 1.5 at idle and 3 when under a load this is what it normally runs when the filter isn't plugged. There was a big blob of funky crud floating on the top of the fuel-water filter when I removed it.

Dave

Luwi67 and Slowpoke KW Thank this.
  5. Slowpoke KW

Slowpoke KW Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2015
    OK
    Fuel filter restriction gauge. Yours hooks up same place mine does. When mine gets over 15 I change the FWS then it generally drops down to about 2, when it doesn’t drop down to below 5 then I change the secondary filter. I can’t say it’s wrong to change both all the time I just don’t want to waste my money.

Luwi67 Thanks this.
  6. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    I understand now, I thought the restriction gauge read only the primary filter where it was hooked up, my mistake. Guess I'll start changing the filters how you do it.

Slowpoke KW Thanks this.
  7. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    I've had this truck since 2003 and had that happen twice. Once was a tan sort of blob about the size of a nickel. The second was a sliver of black rubber the size of a quarter. At that point I suspected the inside of the fuel line from the tanks might be deteriorating so I replaced all the fuel lines.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Absolutely change both. Cheapest insurance there is.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  9. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy Luwi67,
    Thanks for this post, I think the fuel lines on my truck are probably the originals so changing them out is a good idea.
    Dave

10. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Being risk adverse myself I would change both. Filters are a lot cheaper and less time consuming than fixing a resultant problem later.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  11. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi guys. I change my primary cat advanced filter every 5k when the filter is holding to much water, probably due to the fuel station I go to. And again at 10k with the secondary at my regular total service. I’ve noticed that my my split tank is black on the inside, most likely algae. I was using Killem from FPPF and a mechanic friend told me not to use it, does more harm than good. Anything on the market that I can use to eliminate the algae in the tank

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.