Should I fight a speeding ticket?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Clawbytes, Nov 1, 2018.

  1. jt road hammer

    jt road hammer Light Load Member

    160
    50
    Oct 26, 2018
    0
    a cdl is worth its weight in gold it really is
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Moose1958

    Moose1958 Road Train Member

    11,651
    15,341
    Dec 17, 2010
    Ainigriv Notpmah
    0
    I used to live up in Stephens County. I can back up your comment. The Georgia "state" courts generally are run well. Outside of the large urban area's of Georgia these Judges are part time Judges. Most of the time even you the violator can come up and speak to the Solicitor yourself. I can't backup your comment about the driving record being pulled. I have honestly never seen it.

    I will say this however in regard to hiring an attorney. I suggest you use one of the prepaid services. However you have NO guarantee that an attorney will get your case dismissed or reduced. I have found that an Attorney will tell you up front what to expect. Most people that has hired an attorney generally know what to expect when they go before the Judge.
     
  4. againstthewind

    againstthewind Road Train Member

    2,027
    3,147
    Oct 26, 2012
    0
    lawyers are cheaper than working for a company that hires drivers with bad records.
     
  5. lovesthedrive

    lovesthedrive Is here to help

    15,458
    51,415
    Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    0
    I was in traffic court and a fellow was trying to argue that he wasnt speeding. See in California the speed limit posted is only for the most adverse conditions. Yet the Judge wouldnt listen to this fellow whom was trying to tell the judge that his car could go much faster than one hundred and fifty.
     
    Dan.S Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

    bryan21384 Road Train Member

    7,418
    12,083
    Sep 18, 2009
    1918 Anywhere, USA 90210
    0
    You got caught speeding in a construction zone? That one maybe tough to win in court. Luckily you didn't hit a worker
     
  7. Moose1958

    Moose1958 Road Train Member

    11,651
    15,341
    Dec 17, 2010
    Ainigriv Notpmah
    0

    I would suggest people look at these stats. States are responding to this with tougher laws. In some cases a Judge has limited room to reduce a charge when it comes to speeding in these zones.

    To me, when someone chooses to repeatably operate their vehicle in a non safe manner I lose any sympathy I might have for their crying later about their license and ability to support themselves. Further I am a big supporter of those tables the FMCSA has put in 383.51and believe they should be enforced with no regard to how it would effect a drivers later life. Now I know there are cops out there that hate truckers. I have encountered them myself. Your record can stand it for a few years when such a cop uses their ticket book as a weapon. <<Has happened to me as well. However when it comes to those tables in 383.51 we see that a CDL should not be lost by a single incident. I'm sorry, but I have NO sympathy for a serial violator especially those that kill or maim. I'm sorry, I feel that once that summons has the CDL block checked that summons should NOT be allowed BY STATE LAW to be changed. OK to go to hire and attorney and go to court and if a Judge believes you that is great. If not, well it sucks to be you! So I guess this is my answer to the OPs question.
     
  8. GoldDot40

    GoldDot40 Light Load Member

    124
    143
    Jul 20, 2018
    Athens, GA
    0
    Cool. I'm in Madison County. 80% of my driving is in the NE GA mountains. I pull my loads out of Athens and deliver from Habersham, up to Blairsville, all the way over to Dawsonville and everything in between. The other 20% is around Augusta and the Southern part of South Carolina.
     
  9. skellr

    skellr Road Train Member

    8,633
    11,897
    Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    0
    There are construction zones in UT and WY that are 75 mph, lol.

    Not in Kansas anymore...
     
  10. Moose1958

    Moose1958 Road Train Member

    11,651
    15,341
    Dec 17, 2010
    Ainigriv Notpmah
    0
    Those North Georgia Mtns became the bane of my existence after that rock slide totally closed I 40 at the NC/Tenn border about 22 years ago. Pick your poison, Atlanta Rush Hour or those mtns?
     
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  11. GoldDot40

    GoldDot40 Light Load Member

    124
    143
    Jul 20, 2018
    Athens, GA
    0
    I work where I do solely because we DON'T go to Atlanta. I'll take rock slides and road washouts for $200, Alex.
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted