Should I get off my mentor truck or tough it out?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Kry0n, Apr 26, 2015.

1. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    This is why there needs to be government standards for trainers...

No less than 3 years safe otr experience..preferably 5 years

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    First tell "Everyone" who the company is,,next get out from that trainer ASAP,,,he is not a trainer.If possible ask for your own truck. There are no requirements for trainers,,some companies put rookies with good safe drivers and other don't give a crap who they use for trainers,,I had a trainer way back in 73 that stopped at the first liquor store after we left the terminal,,had an other when I got hired in 79 to haul cars that went into road rage when a car changed lanes to close in front and did his best to pass the car and then force it off the road,,
    Here is one when I trained a rookie ,, he drove well but wanted to pull into a Hardees with car parking only ,,told me that he did it all the time driving the companies straight truck with a 24ft body,,
    A trainer should have patience and expect his trainee to drive safe,,follow all the rules and regs as well as set a good example when teaching someone else to drive,,

NavigatorWife and Mr.X Thank this.
  4. tazman74

tazman74 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Albert Lea, Mn
    Hey where are you located at? I will train you I have 20 yrs driving I just need to recert then I am good to go. Yes I am a lease op and I would push you to drive BUT I will also teach you along the way and my FIRST rule is if you don't feel safe don't drive.

5. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    If he's putting in apps, then he is wanting to leave ASAP. Ask for another one, you might get lucky and get a good one and if you don't you prolly get a better one than one that isn't interested in being a Mentor" anymore.

6. cuzzin it

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Not many of those :biggrin_25513:

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. pumpkinhead

pumpkinhead Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2015
    My trainer had 15+ years, and just became a lease op. It SUCKED. Summer heat, doesn't want to idle. Coleman "cooler" heating everything up and I'm trying to sleep naked with wet t shirts on my body. Also would road rage and really behind on bills, would keep on taking personal advances. I was just thinking, "what happened man, 15 years exp and Swift?"

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    315, it's in the Swift forum so we can presume it is a Swift trainer.
    No brainer.

And it sounds like he is one of the worst of them.

I was lucky with my mentor. He actually taught me the right things in the right way.
    That's not to say we didn't argue on occasion, I think everyone will. But it was none of the stuff the OP has mentioned.

Every company will have bad trainers. It is up to the student to take control early enough to avoid getting really burned by those scumbags.

Kry0n, you should have a training DM that you can call. You should also be providing feedback on a regular basis.
    Swift doesn't want these type of people working for them any more than you want to be stuck with them.
    So let them know exactly what is happening.
    Do it while you are at a terminal, if possible. You wouldn't want that trainer to strand you at a truck stop, or worse.
    Until you can, just play along.

NavigatorWife and MM3Deg Thank this.
  9. cuzzin it

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    If some one has 3-5 years experience isn't training, it's prolly because they don't want to.......

10. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    i would never train..but my point was that no one should be allowed to train with less than 3 years

Father Luke Thanks this.
  11. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Get a new trainer. This guy isn't going to teach you anything and he shouldn't make a dime off of "training" you. Report this fool to Swift.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.