Should I go to a $2000 school or sign one year contract?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Richhoop, May 10, 2019.

1. chiprighter

chiprighter Bobtail Member

May 12, 2019
    There is nothing wrong with attending a CDL school to get your License. After you have your commercial drivers license ANY company you choose to work for will have you attend their orientation to teach you their rules and to verify they want you. You will still after orientation go out with a company driver teaching you the good and bad and evaluate your driving and safety skills.It is only when your team driver thinks you are ready and can handle the job on you own you will get you own truck. Plus when attending a CDL school you spend a lot less money and do not have to sell your soul for a year or more.
    A great school is Sun State Trucking Academy in Moore Haven Florida. They charge 1500.00 and the facility is state of the art, huge classroom, clean bathrooms, easy parking, and the instructors are excellent.
    After receiving your license there are several companies that will hire new students like Cypress, and Melton. Don't get discouraged reading negative blogs, your attitude, driving record, and punctuality is what makes you money. Stay positive, be kind to everyone, be safe, drive smart, if you are a pro.
    Hope this helps.

Richhoop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    Your best bet is to be trained through a carrier so you get the OTR experience so when you go for a job you got "One Up" because you got the experience. Do 2 years OTR because not only will you get the job, you'll be able to name your price...

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    2k is a no-brainer. Most schools cost
    2-4 times as much. You should easily recover your investment pretty quick if you sign on to the right outfit.

5. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I paid 2k for a 360 hour course. Wtf is 12 hours gonna do? You’ll still be grinding gears after 12 hours let alone backing properly

6. Mtugglet

Mtugglet Bobtail Member

May 18, 2019
    St. Louis, MO
    I too am trying to decide the better option. Thank you for your post.

Richhoop Thanks this.
  7. Ratticus Asphaltae

Ratticus Asphaltae Bobtail Member

May 19, 2019
    Avoid any company sponsored training as they will stick to you. I paid for my own school ($2K is a bargain) and was able to avoid the one year contract I would have incurred had I used the company sponsored option.

Many companies inflate the cost of their school and will charge as much as $7K. DO NOT use any company sponsored training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.