Should I go to Waste management, Republic, or Ups freight ?

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by hermyinaz, Dec 21, 2017.

1. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Bobtail Member

May 16, 2017
    Hi folks I’m new to this forum and thought I would post a question. I’m currently working in the trash industry as a transfer driver. There a smaller local company in Arizona. My boss told me after a few months he would move me into a front load commercial garbage position as I think that would be a little funnier than driving from a transfer station to the landfill everyday putting on 530 miles a day and still considered local. My question is can you make any money doing frontload if you get a couple of years of experience or is just kinda a dead ender ? The reason being I’ve been driving for a little over a year now and have done gas / tanker and LTL and now this transfer job because it was a lot closer to my house. All the good trucking jobs are on the west side of town and I’m on the Far East side of the city so it kinda is slim pickings for jobs so that’s why I thought I would go the trash route but I’m beginning to think maybe there isn’t very good money involv4d in it. Granted I’m at a smaller company and everything seems to pay 15 to 17 an hour there and than the small 2 percent raises you get it would take forever to make any money it seems like. I also was kinda wondering maybe stay there for a year or 2, get some frontload experience and move onto Waste or Republic anyone know how there frontload era do over there as far as pay scales and hours ? I also have an opportunity to work at Ups freight it’s on the west side of town and quite a drive from my house but eventually will be making good money over there. So basically kinda asking if I’m just spinning my wheels in this trash industry and if it’s gonna take forever to make a decent wage or if I can get my experience and make good money going elsewhere, I appreciate all the help and comments if any ha, thanks......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. z32sean

z32sean Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    If you can get on with UPS do it. In thirty years you will hardly remember the commute but will for sure be glad for the pay and retirement you got from Mr Brown

207nomad and WesternPlains Thank this.
  4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    UPS should be around forever. and thusly so would thier pension. i'd nary trust any smaller company to match the money/benefits or longevity of UPS.

207nomad and WesternPlains Thank this.
  5. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Bobtail Member

May 16, 2017
    Hey thanks for the info and advice fellas. Here’s the thing I’m in my mid 40’s as I made a career change a year ago into trucking, so realistically would I even get a pension because I probably would only be able to work there for 20 years and that would put me in my mid 60s so than I wonder if it would be worth going over there if I couldnt collect.a full pension or do they even offer a pension of some kind if you only serve 20 or so years ? Thanks a lot for any help..

6. z32sean

z32sean Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Middle Tennessee
    Even when you take the pension out of the equation the pay is far and away better than what you would find in waste services.
    LTL is typically the highest paying job in the industry.

7. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Bobtail Member

May 16, 2017
    Oh that’s what I was thinkin as well z32sean. Yeah out here I think top pay at Ups is 29 an hour plus I know they do like 13 to 14 hours a day that’s pretty good money thanks for the input.

8. local439

local439 Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2014
    Brentwood , Ca
    If you want something more interesting I’d say UPS freight but their pension is different than the parcel side. If Waste or Republic are Teamsters depending on the contract the pension would probably be better, when your years of service and age equal 80. When you reach 65 you can automatically start receiving a check. Roll off always seemed cool to me.

9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I cant speak specifically for Republic or UPS but I can about Waste Management.
    They have greta benefits & pay well. The problem is, they micro manage every day business. Its very hard to work for WM. What rues they have this week are different next week. They make rules, then something happens. Then they add rules... the key word here is "ADD" not replace. Next week something else happens & they add new rules... notice I am saying rule(s)... as in plural. Next week, something happens where one of the rules prohibits a route from getting up. More rules are added. Again, not replaced, but added.
    Now we have rules that conflict rules, & rules that conflict those rules. Its a catch 22 & no way for you to win. So, no matter what you do that day, even if it is what one rule says, you end up violating another rule. They do this to protect themselves so no matter what you do, if something goes wrong, you have violated a rule & its on you. If they need to get rid of a trouble maker etc, they know at some point that day, he will not only break one rule but several rules before the day is out. Easy to get rid of whomever they wish.

If you think I am exaggerating, catch any WM guy on his route & ask. But you cant talk long cause they have tracking devices so they cant sit in one place too long etc. He has to be moving.
    I worked for WM for 11 years. Its stressful, very stressful. In 11 years, I seen 6 general managers go through that place. No telling how many other management & hundreds of route personnel.... yes, hundreds.

Excellent benefits & great pay, but micro managing & the upper management in Houston make it so difficult that you cat stay, whether by choice or not.

stuckinneutral Thanks this.
  10. hermyinaz

hermyinaz Bobtail Member

May 16, 2017
    Well I appreciate all the help folks still trying to decide thanks again.....

11. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I ran across info on UPS. Forget where I saw it. Said that UPS over the road, after 5 years, got to $3000 a week. Impressive...
    Forget trash. It's a wild goose chase.
    WM has a rule. If your truck is involved in three accidents, you're fired. It doesn't matter if the truck is parked and someone runs into it. It still counts. Forget that!
    Idiots in trash. Waste Connections. Interviewed with them. The supervisor had no idea how many dumpsters they did a day. No idea? All he cared about was his guys out there beating their heads against the wall. That's all.
    I had a good little job with a small company in trash. Company sold. Idiot new owners. So bad... One day one of them decided to tell me off. Right out of the blue... He had started front load dumpsters. I always did rear load. Which is slower. So...
    He got into his incredible hulk pose. Yelling at me: I got 26 dumpsters! Close together! Done in 2.5 hours! ... All I could think was; He really told me off.
    One day I got him in front of some apartments I did.
    I very calmly said: "You see these? Bridgewood and Carriage Green? That's 20 dumpster. Close together. ... I raised one finger and said: One hour. ..... He turned and ran away.

The new owner fired me after two months. Unemployment didn't believe them. Decided I was laid off. Got unemployment. Got grant for CDL school to upgrade to A. I'm going OTR in a job the Terminal Manager told me I'll make $75K a year. Walks all over trash. For that matter... walks all over what a State's Attorney makes in this State.

You're better off running a transfer truck.
    Get out of trash.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.