Should I go with H&M out of Omaha NE?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Trucker2021, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Trucker2021

Trucker2021 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2021
    I was approved for company van. They have great reviews but also some negative ones. How are the miles?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucker2021

Aug 14, 2021
    I have 4 years experience with a clean record. Some job hopping so FCC rejected me.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    What do they have (or claim to have) -- that your previous carriers did not?

Do you have a hazmat endorsement? Since that is part of their service mix -- you might get it, if you don't already have it. An account with most or all hazmat freight might offer you a good pay raise.

If you're a careful driver -- the hazmat work is basically the same -- just more $$$$$$.

What do their safety scores look like? Are you satisfied with those?

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/faq/how-do-i-check-companys-safety-rating

Have you personally spoken to any of their drivers? What feedback did they offer?

-- L

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  5. Trucker2021

Aug 14, 2021
    I work at Averitt (2 years) good home time but pay is mediocre albeit guaranteed. I'm wanting to make more money ideally 1500-2000 a week.
    They also have a lot of big company problems.

They said I can get my hazmat after I join up which I plan to do. Safety scores are satisfactory. I haven't spoken with any drivers.

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    To minimize (or maybe even eliminate) future job hopping....ask yourself this (if you haven't already): how much of their current freight mix is what one would call, "recession-resistant"?

Some smart prognosticators are predicting a recession is nearing. If enough freight dries up as the economy goes into the crapper -- you might be looking for still other work again soon (or not).

Easy examples of freight that generally holds up well in recessions:

• food/food-related items/dairy pdts
    • pharmaceuticals
    • gasoline/diesel fuels
    • paper products (toilet tissue, paper towels)
    • beer/booze
    Since part of their freight mix is "freeze protect"....that suggests to me that some of their freight is probably pharmaceuticals (or related).

This would be yet another reason to get that hazmat endorsement....sooner rather than later.

-- L

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    nextgentrucker and Trucker2021 Thank this.
  7. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Ask the recruiter if they have lost any direct customers, had any lay offs, a reduction in miles or bonuses in the last 6 months

8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    In 2012 h@m dumped most of theyre long haul freight and went to a short haul out 2 to 4 weeks at a time modal .
    You won't make 1500 to 2000 a week at h@m and they can't find drivers that live in the omaha area that will work for them anymore.

9. Trucker2021

Aug 14, 2021
    So what would be the average miles?

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I can't honestly answer that as I've been gone since 2014 , but from what I hear not much has changed ...when I pulled the pin I saw alot of 400.00 paychecks .

11. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Trucker2021 --

If you have 4 years experience, along with a clean record -- you are at a point where you can go after a sure thing, instead of chasing a "maybe". Examples:
    • Climate Express
    • Indian River Transport
    • Magnum
    @bryan21384 works for Climate Express.

-- L

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.