Should I pay for my school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by StankinJankin, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Those companies I posted should give you a good start in trucking with decent pay.
    You can call and ask if they will hire from whichever school you plan to attend, just to be on the safe side.

TxFLdino57 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. StankinJankin

StankinJankin Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2021
    Jacksonville, FL
    Okay, that's great to know! Thanks again to you and everyone else. I'll keep this updated with how it goes. I've been reading the CDL handbook. Looking to start this right after the holidays.

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    As soon as you get a start date for school, start submitting applications. You'll get job offers right away and they'll be contingent on successfully completing the school and having any required endorsements. Submit as many applications as you want; a job offer is not an obligation.
    Edit: the websites will usually have a 'short app' you can submit.

TxFLdino57 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Scroll to the top of this page and click on the 3 horizontal bars.
    This will show schools in each state, plus the CDL Practice Tests & Answers.
    ~
    Roadmasters is owned by Werner, and it's very expensive. Good school but they push Werner.

TxFLdino57 Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I would say go to the company sponsored training. That way you dont have to drain your bank account. The first year isn't the most lucrative year, I'd even dare to say that for some drivers, the first few years aren't that lucrative. It's a lot of factors that determine that though. Don't worry about the pay, because once you get out on the road, if you prove yourself reliable, the pay will take care of itself. That's with any company. Even if you pay for your own school, you will most likely train with what everyone calls a "bottom feeder" company. The first year is all about gaining experience and getting your feet wet, so I'd advise you to hang on your your money if you can.

TxFLdino57 and Dockbumper Thank this.
  7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself!:D

bryan21384 and TxFLdino57 Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

1. Employer
    2. School
    3. 2nd employer

It is far more important to find a good company for you to work for than who pays for your CDL. What if a friend asked you "should I marry Allison, her dad is a preacher and we can have the wedding for free? Or, should I marry Lisa, she wants a small wedding in Hawaii? It's a million times more important whether you marry Allison or Lisa and very unimportant how you pay for the ceremony. Many trucking jobs are not just jobs they are where you will work and where you will live for a year, if you drive Over-The-Road OTR

CDL school costs about $5-8k. Financially, you should not get into trucking if your income as a driver isn't increased from your current job by at least that amount.
    EVERY CDL school will find you a loan, if you want it. Find out what the monthly cost would be for their school loan.

MANY, trucking companies offer Tuition Reimbursement to new drivers. If your license came from an accredited 160 hour school, or one of the schools they recognize, the company will pay you a certain amount each month in addition to the wages you earn. You can repay any school loan with the Tuition Reimbursement from the company.

Some trucking companies have their own dedicated schools where you sign a contract with them before school. Your contract will require you to work for them as a driver (no matter what). Some of the very worst companies to work for offer this deal. The contract to get school/work for these companies may prohibit you from working for any other trucking company until you pay off that loan or complete the work period in the contract.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD concentrate on who you will work for. That decision is the most important decision you will make in trucking. The company that may fit you best may have their own "free" school or only hire newbies from certain schools near them. If you find a company that fits you well, who cares if you have to work for them for one year. If you get a "free CDL" from a terrible company, like CR England it may "cost" you more than you could have ever guessed.

The training period (including time at the school, and time riding with company trainer) will often be very low pay or no pay. Your cash could be better spent on living expenses until you start getting paid as a driver. CDL schools often last 3 or 4 weeks, then you ride with a trainer for 1-3 months, depending on company. You might get paid a nominal amount like $300-500 per week riding with your trainer. Some companies pay you a similar amount while you got to CDL school. After 1 year of trucking you almost certainly will change companies as you know much better what regions you like to drive, what types of freight you like to pull, amount of home time you need.

90% of people getting their CDL quit the industry before they work for 1 year. Pikcing an employer is not like picking between Coke and Pepsi. There are awful employers nobody would complete a year, and employers with great reputations. Most employers are good to great for certain drivers, and poor to average for other drivers.

9. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Zero money out of pocket went to school. Got my cdl license and had to stay with company for a year. They took 50 a week out of my check. I never missed the money. That’s the best way to go in my opinion.

TxFLdino57, bryan21384 and Dockbumper Thank this.
  10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Pretty much identical to my start with Swift in Phoenix 5 1/2 years ago. I could have paid out of pocket. But...... Left my cash in the bank and took advantage of the interest free financing. I earned more money in the 5 or 6 weeks with my trainer than the total cost if my tuition. It was a no brainer.

11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I ended up getting a grant from the state for $4000. I only had to come up with the last $1995. They let me finance it but it was paid off with a quickness once a started with Western. I would have gone the company paid route it that grant hadn't came through. I fully endorse that because you gotta job right out of the gate.

TxFLdino57 and Dockbumper Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.