Should I pay the $500 to learn manual at school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Flankenfurter, Jan 27, 2021.

1. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Even with all the grinding I don’t think it’s worth charging $500 per student. But what do I know, when my truck acts up I give to the shop and say “can you fix this thing-ama-jig”

Coffey and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Geez we must have the same dad cause I feel exactly the same way. The first time I pulled a tanker with a Volvo daycab I was in love.

homeskillet and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

As a driver, I'd drive a hot dog cart for the right money.

But nobody has ever bragged when replacing a Volvo Ishift. Just different when you buy your own parts.

Vampire and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Fixed that for ya. :D

Vampire, plankton, TripleSix and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Saltyoldone

Saltyoldone Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Boise
    I’d say get the qual.

Although... went to first company because they had manuals. After the first ten days of riding in said manuals I was told that I’d have a auto. Quit 10 days later because after being on the road for 17, 18-20 hour days I had yet to sit in the drivers seat.
    Second company was all auto. You had to lease on if you wanted a manual.
    Third company all autos.

I’ve looked at all the small and large companies in my area and there are very few manuals that aren’t owner operator.

7. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    .accidently post while typing I guess

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  8. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    never claim to make a dollar a mile I run local usually and get a % of the cut last week It just so happens I had a return load so I didn't have to dead head home witch add a couple hundred buck to the turn. Now I try to work around 5 day a week but will run however many run they give me.
    Now I know you still won't believe me so I post so old stuff that break down my pay from my last company sine my current one just put the money in my bank and I don't worry about it (I black out some stuff so you wouldn't know where I pick up and the base pay the company get for it to) now could only find 2 of these that show my taxes being taken out and all that good stuff so if need to see them to to believe me I don't mind posting them for you just say so
    20210201_204912.jpg 20210201_204903.jpg 20210201_204854.jpg View attachment 360332

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    Flankenfurter Thanks this.
  9. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    And I don't make that ever week some time we just got the load and I'm gross around 1200 for a while

10. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    If you don’t, you’ll be a slave to the mega carriers for your entire career. IMO the megas treat their drivers the worst because their business model demands it. From what I’ve seen, the megas are the ones who usually have all the Onstar bells, whistles and cameras second guessing their drivers at every opportunity.

Get the added manual training. It gives you more flexibility and with the manual certification on your license, you can leave and go to a wider variety of companies. It will be the best $500 you ever spent.

11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I have a built by me automatic.
    It’s a power glide with a transmission brake.
    It’s in a tube frame chassis 72 Vega and it runs 9.90s in the quarter mile.
    But I’ll also take a manual over an automatic in a big truck any day of the week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.