Should I start trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jfost020, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jfost020

jfost020 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2014
    I am not injecting any emotions into a keyboard. Trust me. I am just not trying to have my time wasted. For anyone else out there I have hot word keys on my keyboard and bad type so I look at my clipboard for previous posts. If your offended then I am sorry and hope we can move this discussion forward because I am looking for some good insight and hope to drop the previous posts. If you are detecting an attitude it's no emotion here in this keyboard so sorry it came off that way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    The attitude I detected was telling other memebers to stay off your page, or that you will no longer respond to them..

I think it is good that you have acknowledged it and that you did not intend to come off that way....

Most of us.. or at least many of us use our phones or notepads.. and understand the typos and such that happen....

If this is something you want then yes it is possible for you to find a company that will give you a chance.. but, it may take more looking and research...

I google trucking company in my area and compiled a list.. I the researed what I could on them and made calls and even walked in to several... but I knew I wanted to drive a truck and so I dealt with what ever hurdles in my path..

4. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Make sure you explain that one to prospective employers. Here in VA it's a slap on the wrist and they tell you to get a permit. In other states CC'ing illegally is a felony and there mindset may go that way.

The credit card should be an issue at all. 3 accidents are tricky to explain. What is MORE important is what is your driving points balance with DMV? Are you positive or negative? That's the determining factor! Most companies are looking for +2 or better. I'd also recommend going on DMV's website and printing your driving record for EMPLOYMENT reasons (don't check personal) See if the accidents show or not, Unless something has changed, not at faults only show when you print it for Personal reasons. Also, when printing for Employment it only goes back 7 years.

TONS of driving jobs in Central/Southern VA man! Also look into Shippers Choice. I went to the Chester Campus but theres one in Hampton as well. I've read some iffy reviews on Hampton and Manasas but Chester was great. They finance regardless of credit and don't start deducting until a month after you graduate so you can get working. They also offer lifetime refresher courses and job placement. If you want to drive local, I got some ideas if you want them. Reply or PM me if you want.

5. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Why? Pretty sure NOT at fault means just that. I was rear ended while STOPPED at a red light twice within a years time! So should I not get jobs because I have suck luck?

6. jfost020

jfost020 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2014
    I will probably do shippers choice. My cousin worked for cr England a while back. He told me about some local place I have in mind. I b have +5 points.

7. fuzzeymateo

fuzzeymateo Heavy Load Member

May 20, 2013
    AZ

I haven't read any of the other posts people have written nor am I going to, I will only give you my opinion; As long as you are being honest, there is nothing here that will keep you from getting a job that I can see. Statistically, you will probably be one of the 75% of drivers who never make it past one year in the industry. There are many good reasons for this failure rate and often times it's not the driver himself but rather low wages, no lifestyle, etc. You're educated, use your BA in English/Philosophy but; if your going to do this, do it the right way. You are right about those two companies being "real shady", they are. So, stay away from company sponsored training, pay for your own school at a community college and go to work for a more respectable company (not one of the majors).

8. jfost020

jfost020 Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2014
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I know for a fact my manager was on vacation when they were supposed to call to verify employement and no one was in the manager's office. I am going to avoid them for those lies alone.

9. quitter

quitter Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2012
    San Juan Capistrano, ca
    Why would you avoid them for that reason? I would just assume that they are satisfied with my employment record and they did not feel the need to research it further. In my opinion you are over thinking these things, if they say you are good to go, you are good to go, but here you are disqualifying yourself before they do! Maybe some of the other people are right, you seem to be missing some of the passion! You might love trucking so I hate to discourage you. Turned out I did not have the passion so I quit, it really was not the best job I ever had, actually it was the worse. I think the people that are successful in this field (like in so many other fields), really, really want to do it and would ignore things like, "They said my employment was OK, but I know they are lying". If you want it go after it! (I think it something like 90% maybe 95% of new drivers quit within the first year.. not sure but something to think about.)

10. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Most of the ones that get sent home from orientation made mistakes or misrepresentation on their application. .. for example, knew of one driver who put seasonal... when in fact he was fired...

They didnt check or hear back from all of my past employers till after I got to orientaion. . But, everthing was as I said it was so I wasnt sent home...

11. lfod14

lfod14 Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Dude, if you have +5 I wouldn't worry about anything. That combined with a non issue misdemeanor shouldn't be a problem. Your in good shape. I wound up printing my driving record for both personal and employment after my first response to you out of curiosity and the employment one doesn't show my accidents. Since only YOU can pull the personal one I wouldn't worry about it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.