Should I stay? They keep canceling my loads every week or two.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ExoGeniVI, May 28, 2024.

1. ExoGeniVI

ExoGeniVI Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2023
    Alabama
    Hello everybody, I've had my CDL for about 9 months now and I've been with the same company since last fall, I got hired on as an hourly, home daily truck driver hauling dry bulk Lime, I enjoy it because of all the home time I get to have with my wife and starting out the pay was great! I was bringing home $1,000-$1,300 a week AFTER taxes, but now my company has been canceling my loads almost every single week and I'm starting to hurt for money, I need to make more than $600 a week, but I don't know if another job will be the same way.

Apparently the place I deliver to keeps having issues with their silos or they get full quicky and they've been turning away drivers every week, would any other dry bulk company be the same way? I know they all pretty much pay the same and being home daily, driving a day cab is really important to me, but i want to make good money too.

I really like this company, dispatch is incredible and the people in the office work with you the best they can.
    What would YOU do?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Switch to a hazmat tanker job.
    Did you decide to not move out West?

4. ExoGeniVI

ExoGeniVI Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2023
    Alabama
    Family emergency, staying put for now close to family. Another reason why I need to stay in a day cab.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which town in Alabama are you located?

6. ExoGeniVI

ExoGeniVI Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2023
    Alabama
    Calera

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Dang, you're about 3 mos. short for most hazmat tanker jobs and even linehaul jobs.
    Tuscaloosa has an opening with Gemini, but that's 75 miles from you. You probably qualify for that one.
    upload_2024-5-28_11-45-3.jpeg

ExoGeniVI Thanks this.
  8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Have you asked bossman if this is normal ? The way I read it, you attempt to make a delivery and get turned away because the customers silo is full. Then what do you do with the load? Does it sit in the trailer until bossman finds another drop ?

tscottme Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Ride it out. Thing will pick up at sometime. In the meantime deliver pizzas, uber or some side gig to make ends meet
    Things are slowand switching to another job could be the same probs. And you have disruption of pay. If you liked this job before then ride it out

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  11. ExoGeniVI

ExoGeniVI Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2023
    Alabama
    I would, but my old truck only gets about 10mpg. I already spend $200/mo in gas just driving to the terminal every day and my truck has 300k miles on it.

You know? I will ride it out, I'm doing good here and I'm better off than I ever have been and from what I've read, most all trucking companies make the same anyway.

Numb and Concorde Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.