Should I take the job?

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by Chuckman73, May 16, 2018.

1. Chuckman73

Chuckman73 Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Good luck! Everyone has been real cool with me so far.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. doireann

doireann Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    How are you doing? Went in today to finish paperwork and start on Monday.
    Nervous and scared all at the same time. Hope its the last new job I have.

Chuckman73 Thanks this.
  4. Chuckman73

Sep 9, 2015
    I spent 1 day watching videos. 3 1/2 days on the computer based education. 3 days riding with other drivers. They finally turned me loose last Friday. I'm heading in tonight to finish up my first full week on my own. I still have a lot to learn, but everyone has been very helpful. Don't be nervous and don't rush yourself. That's how mistakes happen. I'm not happy with being a vampire, but so far everything is going very well. We're bidding runs this week. It looks like I'm going to have a very short run with lots of dock time. Gotta pay those dues! Good luck on Monday!

5. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    Driver apprentice here almost a city driver Aka glorified dock worker

The first few weeks is training on the computer. Hazmat videos/slides and plenty of stuff about safety they are big on that. Depends on your start time you might be able to drive the truck very soon or it might take a while. Most new guys like me at my terminal start at midnight and work on the dock for a while before we can drive anywhere. New guys start with taking container to the rail yard and come back or drive a set(doubles) to another terminal. My place is very busy now, everyday is 10 or 12 hours with volunteer overtime on Saturday.

People are very friendly and willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Majority of drivers in my terminal have been here for a long time.

6. doireann

Nov 13, 2016
    I will be doing the midnight start. A whole new beginning for me. Dock work ; thats ok for now as I hope to loose some weight!!

7. doireann

Nov 13, 2016
    Thanks. Midnight start here too. I totally understand paying my dues. Well done for your first week solo.

Chuckman73 Thanks this.
  8. Chuckman73

Sep 9, 2015
    I was able to stay on the extra board for this next bid. Hopefully more money than doing an Indy run (61 miles each way), working the dock, then back to our terminal. It also sounds like I'm not going to be the bottom guy for much longer. There are 5 in the driver apprentice program. 2 will be driving soon. That's good news for the next bid!

9. doireann

Nov 13, 2016
    Are your hours consistent?
    From what I heard, I am the only driver apprentice starting this week. A few part timer dock workers.
    Awesome that it is going well.

10. Chuckman73

Sep 9, 2015
    Yes it's been consistent so far. I've started between 830 and 1000 every night this week. Being on the extra board there is the possibility of working days and nights. Flipping your sleep schedule around can be challenging, but so far I haven't had to.

11. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    You will have to complete Driver development course.
    1st week is in the yard Backing, blind side, offset and sight side backing
    2nd week is basic week driving in the city with a pup and 48 ft. Van
    3rd week is advanced week driving with doubles and backing van to the dock. You need to do drop and hook with doubles in no more than 30 minutes in order to move on to coaching week.

doireann Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.