Should Truckers be allowed self defense?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, Jun 26, 2020.

Should truckers have expanded CCW rights?

1. Yes, due to nature of OTR work a trucker should be allowed protection.

90.6%
  2. No, there is no need for a trucker to be able to defend themselves.

9.4%
  1. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    No, actually I think he's saying there should be some sort of qualification sorta deal....not just let every moron with a CDL carry a gun
    And I agree completely.
    Not a day goes by that I don't see someone who has no business with a drivers license, let alone a CDL.
    No,@gentleroger is right

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    It is simple, the same rights for all with no special rights for anyone.

Say if this bs law is created and passed, then what does it mean? Truckers are no more special than retired cops or any legal gun owner. Their occupation or former one isn't in the constitution.

If a concealed weapons permit holder from Ohio goes to New Jersey, he/she should be entitled to the privilege of having the weapon with them no matter what occupation they have or had.

4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    No, but I do believe in having to prove one's ability to safely handle a task when that task has a high likelihood of doing permant harm to others.

Own what you, do what you want on your own property, but when a person is interacting with others, they must respect their rights.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Yeah, we all know when you have a gun then you need to start shooting people with it to get you moneys worth out of it. It's not the person that is violent, it is the gun....

Sirscrapntruckalot and TokyoJoe Thank this.
  6. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Okay, what you are saying here is reasonable. I do disagree with regulations and hurdles when it comes to firearm rights, but I respect your position.

Your earlier post seemed judgmental to me, as if to say you were outright dismissing their right to protection because you viewing them as idiots. Of course I'm paraphrasing.

7. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    If a concealed weapons permit holder from Ohio goes to New Jersey, he/she should be entitled to the privilege of having the weapon with them no matter what occupation they have or had.

I agree with this. I'm a CCW holder and have been around firearms and an avid hunter since i was I young kid.

Swedish Chef and nredfor88 Thank this.
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    To be fair, I do have a pretty big judgmental streak - you should hear my opinons on what it should take to get a driver's license, let alone a cdl.

9. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Am I going to get paid extra to carry a gun?

Is the company supplying it?

Are they accepting liability?

Whole host of questions here. Think the congressman is blowing smoke up my you know what. Ain't shooting anybody over somebody else's truck and somebody else's mission critical load of widgets.

10. kaptain10

kaptain10 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2018
    Carry if you wish. Only expose when needed. Second Amendment allows this.

88228822 Thanks this.
  11. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    The gun isn’t for when the trailers getting looted. That’s police, company, and insurance’s problem after I put my lock. The gun is for if decide to start breaking the windows on the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.